Hot water heater water pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bd2020

Reaction score
Hi just installed hot water heater should I cold water line be warm to touch ?

Not sure what the question is.
While in operation the hot side piping will be at the water temp exiting ... and the entry side will be cool as new water flows into the tank to backfill what is being used.
As the tank sits idle when no hot water is used the temperature of the entry side will gradually conduct the tank warmth up into the piping.

Last edited:
Hi just installed hot water heater should I cold water line be warm to touch ?
Yes, the cold water line will warm up when the heater is hot and no hot water is being used.

Heat traps try to stop this.

For some reason I just remembered how Havasu got annoyed by people saying "hot water heater". LOL. If it's hot water, why does it need to be heated. :p

I've never touched the cold water line on my water heater. Good to know it's supposed to get warm for future reference.

If a water heater is satisfied at thermostat temp of 140 then it cools to 130.....the burner will come on to heat the hot water hotter.

I give you......a hot water heater

If the tank is full of cold water and heating then it’s a cold water heater.

Prove me wrong 🤡

I blame redundant verbiage on tough training officers after getting out of the police academy. Similar to.... is a bulletproof vest actually bulletproof? Is an automobile actually mobile, if it is parked? Is an airplane really an airplane when it is on the tarmac?

I actually have no problem with folks saying hot water heater, but don't say, "my hot water heater is broke", because if it is working, you will have a hot water heater, right?

My biggest error while writing reports was when I wrote, "he made a left hand turn." I would get hit in the back of the head when I wrote that one. Even the judges would snicker at that one if they heard it in court. Think about that for a bit.

Keep up folks. Wait until I have my second cup of coffee!

Yes, just a left turn.
Hand is not needed.
Sounds like he forced someone’s left hand to turn.

I blame redundant verbiage on tough training officers after getting out of the police academy. Similar to.... is a bulletproof vest actually bulletproof? Is an automobile actually mobile, if it is parked? Is an airplane really an airplane when it is on the tarmac?

I actually have no problem with folks saying hot water heater, but don't say, "my hot water heater is broke", because if it is working, you will have a hot water heater, right?

My biggest error while writing reports was when I wrote, "he made a left hand turn." I would get hit in the back of the head when I wrote that one. Even the judges would snicker at that one if they heard it in court. Think about that for a bit.

Keep up folks. Wait until I have my second cup of coffee!
I blame lawyers, and I believe all judges are also lawyers, maybe not.

They’ve made it where the common mans language doesn’t meet legal standards. So any real official dealings has to be done by a lawyer to make sure it’s legal.

Kinda messed up situation. I’ve heard judges tell DUI defendants that he advises them to hire a lawyer and will post their case and give them time to get one..

Then this same judge proceeds to hand out 6 month probation to everyone that has a lawyer and 12 months to those who refuse a lawyer or to postpone.

It’s kangaroo court and they don’t even attempt to hide it.

Actually, in our local courts, you pay for a high fallutin' attorney, and you will end up serving more time.

In NYS it's all about the money and the "club". Most of the local courts are run by the DA ... The judges just do what they're told. The public defenders loiter inside the court hoping for an assignment ( which is why they are responsible to bring the coffee & donuts on court night ) With Cuomo's new laws no one gets arraigned without an ADA & public defender .... and they both get paid big bucks to show up. The expenses associated with the judicial system have easily tripled in the last two years...... and everyone pays except the shitheads.
After 33 years riding the pony I can say it has never been worse. I left at the right time.

Last edited:

I find the use of that phrase very offensive - as I am Left Handed (#lefthandersmatter) HAHAHAHAHAHA

Me as well. Glad I'm gone
Not really a plumbing topic ... But recognizing that there are good folks and there are bad folks .... and the number of bad folks in this generation seem to out number the good ....... so that the politicians now change all the policies to the advantage of the turds dictates it's a good time to get out of the game.

If a water heater is satisfied at thermostat temp of 140 then it cools to 130.....the burner will come on to heat the hot water hotter.

I give you......a hot water heater

If the tank is full of cold water and heating then it’s a cold water heater.

Prove me wrong 🤡
What is cold water??? Cold water is what comes from water being in the fridge... Water coming from pipes is just plain old water... LoL!!! I say "Water Heater"

Cold water is the nickname for my mom's dog when we want him to lick bowls or plates clean (we do wash them afterward but it makes washing them easier). There was a joke about dogs named soap and cold water & the person had the dogs clean all the dishes ("They are as clean as soap and cold water can get them". So now we will say "Cold waaaateeeer" and the dog will know to lick the plate of bowl. He does a better job than the other dog.

I apologize to the OP for digressing so much.

I do wonder something: Do the hot water lines get hot to the touch or are they insulated enough not to?

What is cold water??? Cold water is what comes from water being in the fridge... Water coming from pipes is just plain old water... LoL!!! I say "Water Heater"
Cold water is below 85 degrees.

Tempered water is 85-109

Hot water is above 110

So a water heater can heat hot water making it a hot water heater. It depends on the state in which the water heater is in.

It can heat hot water and it can heat tempered water and it can heat cold water.

It’s a water heater by default because it heats all practical temps of water.

Now can I have a beer ? 🤡 Or maybe I’ve had too many 🤔🤣

Latest posts

Back