Hot water heater temp variation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron6519

Reaction score
I have a State Premier, model PRX50NRRT5W. For the last few months, the water temperatures have been up and down. I'm thinking the aquastat has an issue. I've looked on the parts list and cannot see that part. anybody know where this item is located in the unit?

That number is not coming up for me.

can you post a link to the product you have ?

Do you have a circulator pump ?

This water heater is 21 years old. I can't find it listed anywhere. A plumber told me they discontinued this item years ago. I can't even find a place that has this model listed for parts. But there's a possibility that parts that fit in this model are still being used in current units. I just don't have any documentation of any part numbers. The owner's manual just lists the part names. Except for the aquastat. Is this not a replaceable unit?
No circulator pumps.

I disagree with your simplistic views.

I disagree with your simplistic view as well. And you’re the one hunting the parts without part numbers or even a picture. Just a model number that means nothing even to the manufacturer.

All for a 21 yr old water heater

The only thing to do for a 21 year old water heater that isn’t working properly is to replace it. Anything else is a fools errand. The water heater now is probably past its life by 10 years or more. Even if you were to find the proper part and get it installed and have it back up and running, unless the part was just a few dollars what you have is an investment in a 21 year old water heater… and by the way aqua stats, and gas controls are not just a few dollars…

Listen to the experts here who have given their time and guidance. just replace it don’t waste your time looking for parts for a water heater that nobody can even find in their catalog.

if it’s a gas water heater there have been significant safety changes made in the past 21 years and that alone should give you pause.

Ron, I'm not ganging up on you but if you change out the gas control valve and it still doesn't work then there's
a hundred some dollars that you could of used towards and new water heater. You can't return a gas control valve.

All I asked was," does anyone know where the aquastat is on a State water heater is located? "The answers I got was, " change it." This would be the answer to the question, "I have a 21 year old hot water heater, should I fix it or replace it?"
While I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, I can determine what's the better course of action once I have the facts at hand.
So, if you know where the aquastat is, let me know.

Post pictures of your water heater and all of its controls and appurtenances.

That’s the only way anyone can help you.

I personally want you to buy the parts you need and have them installed or install them yourself.

So if you’ll post pictures I’ll help you find parts even if we have to buy them from a scrap yard.

The manufacturer has always recommended checking the anode for degradation and replace when necessary. You need to do that ASAP

Post pictures of your water heater and all of its controls and appurtenances.

That’s the only way anyone can help you.
Water heater Gas Top View.jpgWater heater Top View.jpgWater heater Top View.jpg

I personally want you to buy the parts you need and have them installed or install them yourself.

So if you’ll post pictures I’ll help you find parts even if we have to buy them from a scrap yard.

The manufacturer has always recommended checking the anode for degradation and replace when necessary. You need to do that ASAP
Water Heater Gas Valve.jpg

The water heater itself doesn’t have an aquastat if it’s not on the parts list.

So that’s why you can’t find it.

That’s a gas control.
So, it seems there's a thermister behind the gas valve that determines when the flame is shut off. Now I'll search to see if this is a serviceable item.

Last edited:
How does the water heater control when it turns off the flame?

The gas control valve. There’s a metal rod inside that expands or contracts when the thermostat calls for heat or is satisfied.

They are not repairable, when they malfunction they should be replaced.

So, it seems there's a thermister behind the gas valve that determines when the flame is shut off. Now I'll search to see if this is a serviceable item.

No there’s not. The thermostat is located inside the gas control. The control is considered the thermostat.

It’s not serviceable.

There was a guy killed here a few years ago tinkering with his water heater control after it continually malfunctioned. It was an AO Smith brand. Not sure what brand control was on it. Anyone that interested can read about it.

Proceed at your own risk.

Back