Hosing drain with attached disposal and dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattershot

Reaction score
In our kitchen we have two sinks side by side. The righthand one goes through a J-trap to the sewer out at the wall. The lefthand sink has a disposal that empties through a pipe to a fitting on the righthand sink just above the J-trap. A drain hose from a dishwasher is attached to the disposal.

Every now and then we use a garden hose to open up the outlet pipe when it gets a little clogged. The way I do it now, I need to open five compression fittings to get all the plastic pipes out of the way and a clear shot to the sewer out.

I noticed the hardware store carries an adapter that lets you use a garden hose right on the sink drain. Things would go a lot faster if I used one of these on the righthand sink, holding down a drain lid on the lefthand sink to prevent any backwash coming out there.

However, I wonder about the hose line from the dishwasher. If I run water under pressure into the rest of these pipes, will backwash come out into the dishwasher? If so, is there any way around that? Or any smarter way in general of clearing these pipes without having to take a lot of them out?

Last edited:
Bad idea, will not work. You will fill your dishwasher with dirty backwash water. Find a different method.

Have you ever had the drain line snaked by a professional? It sounds as though you have a pipe that has some issues, and every once in awhile it starts to clog up. Washing it is opening it up to some extent, but is not dealing with the underlying problem. A good power snaking with a properly sized cutter on a properly sized power snake or a pressure jetting, and then a video inspection to determine the condition of the pipe, should either give you years of trouble free drainage, or at least let you know what the problem is.

Thanks. Yes, we figured that we'd be having a plumber over to snake the line pretty soon. Guess we'll have to bump that up on our priority list.

Back