Hose bib problem - not a leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sc0tt28

Reaction score
I have (2) frost free hose bibs on the outside of my house. One in the back yard, and one in the front. The problem is, the water from the hose bib at the front of the house, only comes out as a dribble. The hose bib at the back of the house works fine and all of the other water sources in the house work fine (bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, etc.).

I enlisted the help of my father-in-law (who is not a plumber) who suggested that I remove the hexagonal nut (packing nut?) on the top of the faucet, which I did. We found a white plastic piece that my father-in-law described as a filter. The schematics that I have found, don't seem to show that any water would flow through this white plastic piece, therefore, I don't see what it would filter if it is in fact a filter. So anyway...my father-in-law attempted to remove this plastic piece with a pair of vice-grips however, not wanting to break it, he didn't get very far and instead opted to wait until he consulted someone with some expertise.

My father-in-law said that this filter was likely clogged with bugs that have tried to climb up the faucet and the solution would be to remove the filter, clean out the obstruction, maybe replace it with a new one, and all would be fine. I know for sure that my father-in-law doesn't have a lot of plumbing experience and while I don't either, I'm not sure that the "clogged with bugs" explanation is the best diagnosis of the problem. That being said, I'm willing to accept that, it is in fact the problem. However, if anyone on these boards has a better idea of what the problem could be, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Hi johnjh2o, thank you for replying. Here are two pictures. One of the faucet as "normal" and the other picture with the hexagonal nut on the top of the faucet removed. You can see some black marks on the white plastic piece where my father-in-law tried to remove it.

Front yard hose bib with nut.jpg

Front yard hose bib.jpg

Thats a vacuum breaker on top of the hose bib. If you have a basement or crawl space check for water because the hose bib could have froze and burst over winter. You will not know the hose bib is burst until you turn it on and have little to no pressure.

Hi IFIXH20, thank you for your response. There is a crawl space under the house and I was just under there a couple of weeks ago (checking for mice that my wife is convinced are down there...there are none) but there didn't seem to be any water leak.

Scott, it will only leak when the hose bib is turned on. Turn the hose bib on and check for leaks while the hose bib on. What type of water piping do you have
(copper, galvanize,etc.) ?

I have the same hose bib. The white plastic part can be replaced. I believe it's designed to shut down the faucet if it freezes.

Steve B.
Air Delights, Inc.
mod note: No links in posts, please

Last edited by a moderator:
Back