Home irrigation question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTK

Reaction score
IMG_20190420_124817.jpg Hi folks.
I bought a new house, and went to check out the irrigation system today. When I turn on the ball valve inside, water gushes from this guy. Is this a backflow prevention device?

What would be the issue? Is there an adjustment I need to make, or does it need to be replaced?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mike

I believe those ports are to connect air-lines to blow the system out when winterizing. My guy leaves those open all the time too.

I believe those ports are to connect air-lines to blow the system out when winterizing. My guy leaves those open all the time too.
those are test ports that the local water providers connects his/her test kit to test the operation of the device/when I installed mine I installed unions on both side of the device so I could take it in for the winter I also installed a tee after the device with a plug in it so when the season was over I could take the plug out and install a hose connection so it could be blown out.

those are test ports that the local water providers connects his/her test kit to test the operation of the device/when I installed mine I installed unions on both side of the device so I could take it in for the winter I also installed a tee after the device with a plug in it so when the season was over I could take the plug out and install a hose connection so it could be blown out.

So they aren't for air lines?

no there is a check valve and relief port that your local water supplier tests once a year...this device separates the water that you use in your house.....after it passes thru the valve it becomes (non potable)because the sprinkler heads are in your lawn and you use chemicals on your lawn...if you lose pressure on you water main (fire,hydrant use or water main break)that will pull the water in that direction....the check valve and relief port stop that....it also protects the public water supply at the same time

no there is a check valve and relief port that your local water supplier tests once a year...this device separates the water that you use in your house.....after it passes thru the valve it becomes (non potable)because the sprinkler heads are in your lawn and you use chemicals on your lawn...if you lose pressure on you water main (fire,hydrant use or water main break)that will pull the water in that direction....the check valve and relief port stop that....it also protects the public water supply at the same time

Interesting. No one has ever tested mine but my sprinkler company does hook up their air lines to it to blow out the system.

Latest posts

Back