high hot water pressure issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartercargill

Reaction score
why would my hot water pressure be a lot higher than my cold water pressure? the PRV is on the cold water inlet. After the main water inlet, it branches to cold water and water heater. This high hot water pressure causes my hot water shower pipes (mostly 3rd floor) to vibrate when tub/shower hot water is turn fully to the left side..i have replaced the shower cartridge and flushed out the lines too..

Do you have a thermal expansion tank on your heater? If not you can try that as a first line option.

yea i have an expansion tank, seems fine when you tap lower and upper halves (pings). all the water lines are secured too. wondering if shower valve isn't the greatest? but the hot water pressure is a lot than cold water pressure. thanks

Do you know what brand of shower valve you have?

Does the shower valve have little valves on both the hot and cold side, and are these valves all the way open? (you would have to remove the cover plate to see these valves)

Do you know what brand of shower valve you have?

Does the shower valve have little valves on both the hot and cold side, and are these valves all the way open? (you would have to remove the cover plate to see these valves)

Yeah what kind of valve we working with, 3 handle? Or single.

Make sure the bladder hasn't busted, get a nail and hit the valve stem. Make sure you just get air.

Also, you could have a folded washer or something in the valve. They can be noisy buggers sometimes.

moen single handle, 1222 positemp. stop valves are open. other side note is pipes really vibrate when diverter is up for shower when you turn the knob to hot, then if push diverter down and up again noise is completely gone. replaced the diverter but still made the noise when diverter is up.

Do you feel comfortable pulling the cartridge out?

Moen is fairly simple, just don't drop the clip, and sometimes they don't wanna pull outta there. It could be the little rubber flap thing on the hot side. I have seen them not be lined up perfectly and or have a defect. And you get a noise from the water passing. By the partially blocked hole.

Latest posts

Back