Hi-rise Clog Mystery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggroch

Reaction score
I live on the 15th floor of a 16 floor high-rise built approx 1970. I have had no problems with my single toilet until 8 months ago when it started to clog every 4-6 weeks. I have had 3 different plumbers out who clear the pipe to the soild stack but seem to have no idea why it keeps getting reclogged.

The 1st people I called cleared the pipe to the soil stack and talked me into a new toilet. The 2nd time (4 weeks later) when the problem reoccurred I called them back, they routed it again, and ran a camera down. They said my line to the soil stack was cast iron and corroded and would need to be replaced. (but they were also the guys who replaced my toilet for apparently no reason.

At this point I stopped putting ANYTHING besides human waste into the toilet. Bath tissue into a waste basket. Another 4-6 weeks later, another clog.

I then called new higly rated plumbers who pulled the toilet (there was a white cottony plug at the top that they removed and Routed it, ran a scope and told me it my line was fine and was plastic not cast iron (the soil drop is cast iron).

4-6 weeks later, another clog...this time they just cleared the clog, said they noticed no paper/plugs during the routing...but they had no idea why the problem reoccurs.
They said it was highly unlikely that a neighbor flushing anything would clog my toilet. Any ideas? They said if my pipe to the soil drop was bad that it would not take 4-6 weeks to clog....that they would notice the odd flushing after 2-3 flushes. HELP! I cannot avoid toilet paper forever and have it unplugged every month. ...George

Back