Help with winterizing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyK

Reaction score
I have an outdoor shower I need to winterize. It has a Moen diverter(mixer?) valve with hot and cold water going to it. There is also a valve a couple feet down from the diverter that seems to drain the diverter. I have shot-off the inside hot and cold water valves (the cold water line also runs to the outdoor hose bib). When I remove the vent cap from the inside hot water shut-off valve and apply air pressure to the line, the line pressurizes but does not flow no matter how I position the outside diverter valve or diverter drain valve (if that's what that valve is).

I can gravity drain most of the water, but the pex has droops so I want to blow all water out of the lines to the outside shower. What am I doing wrong?

Should be an easy DIY job, no?

Thanks

If the Moen valve is a balance pressure valve it needs pressure to both the hot and cold side to open the valve. If your applying pressure to just the cold side the valve will not open.

Thanks John, that would explain it.

I guess my real question then is:

How do I properly winterize an outdoor shower with a Moen shower valve?

Inside the house, I have two shut-off valves with drain ports: a hot and a cold. The cold serves the shower and a hose bib. Outside, in addition to the shower valve and hose bib, there is a smaller gate valve about a foot below the shower valve (to drain the shower valve?).

I do have an air compressor.

Back