Help With Venting A Vanity

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of renovating/rebuilding my main bath and ensuite bathrooms. In the picture you can see the 1 1/2"ABS drain pipe (on the right side of the picture - just above the PEX lines) protruding from the wall for the main bath (MB) vanity, which is on the other side of that wall.
On the left side of the picture you can see the current location of the 3" main vent stack which is in the ensuite bathroom. I am going to move that 3" stack over to the hole I have drilled out near the middle of the picture - which will be in a shower wall.
I intend to drain that MB vanity into the 3" vent stack once I have moved it....and am wondering how should I vent the 1 1/2" drain pipe from the vanity? I still have to drill all the holes to run the ABS over to the new vent stack location (still have to finish framing that wall as well :) )

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 0
I assume you will be running the vanity drain to the left in your picture then out to new 3" location. The best way to vent that vanity would be to run a 1 1/2" line up through the existing wall as soon as you can, and then tie into the vent stack in the attic.

How are you planning on venting the shower?

I assume you will be running the vanity drain to the left in your picture then out to new 3" location. The best way to vent that vanity would be to run a 1 1/2" line up through the existing wall as soon as you can, and then tie into the vent stack in the attic.

How are you planning on venting the shower?
Hi,

I was wondering that instead of going straight up into the attic to vent that I could go up a few feet and then go across and tie into the 3" stack as well - so both the drain and the vent would be direct into the 3" stack. I guess there would be less drilling to go straight up though?

I was planning to have the shower drain into the 3" vent (wet vent) as well, which would have the shower drain within 2' of the vent - so I shouldn't need a seperate vent for the shower drain?

You could run the vent and the drain through the studs but if you have attic access, taking the vent straight up to the atttic then over to the 3” vent as it passes through the attic would be easier. A lot less drilling and easier to pipe.

Back