help with stack question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It means the things that could possibly go wrong are numerous. How brittle is the stack you plan on cutting into, i have seen cast iron shatter when snapped. I have seen it drop down from the floor above and rip out the toilet flange on the floor above.

It means the things that could possibly go wrong are numerous. How brittle is the stack you plan on cutting into, i have seen cast iron shatter when snapped. I have seen it drop down from the floor above and rip out the toilet flange on the floor above.
well i understand that things can go wrong. for one thing i am not an idiot, i am a professional engineer ( electrical) and i know that **** happens. But when you cant get the schmucks in this profession to come when they say, or show uop when they say, then I have no choice but to do it on my own. a lot of these guys around here i put in the same category as lawyers.. useless. now with that said, i asked for advise knowing well the risks, but i think odds of me screwing it up are a lot less than somebody actually showing up. you catch my drift ? and thanks for your productive input.

Sometimes old cast iron pipe with hub and lead joints have a cast seam down the side of it. makes it difficult to use a band seal coupling. Some times you might have to grind it smooth. Modern cast iron (NO-HUB soil pipe) uses no-hub coupling and fittings. CI soil pipe has a slightly different O.D. Than PVC/ABS pipe
NH coupling wasn't designed for connecting CI to Plastic. Proflex or Mission coupling have a bit thicker neoprene and are listed on the side for transition application. Fernco's are not recommended in this application.

If you use a no-hub fitting you only need to cut out enough for the fitting +1/8" for each coupling. Coupling has a middle lip that fits between the pipe and fitting. browse through my old threads. Might find one that shows you how to install one if not I'll show you later when the time comes. the last picture I added is a no-hub to plastic transition fitting. you can use that with a no-hub coupling but you have to cut out more pipe

You can use an upright wye as well. 1 less fitting to go vertical
1 mission band
2 No-hub band
3 fernco
4 no hub wye
5 upright wye
6 No-hub to PVC adapter

mission band.jpg

no-hub.jpg

fernco.jpg

No-hub wye.jpg

upright wye.jpg