Help with draining my furnace

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamilran

Reaction score
Hello

I 'm looking for someone who can direct me on how to drain my system 2000- I have to move baseboard and need it drained. Also, how to I recharge it after? my oil company cannot come and do it till next week. Is it the first to the left or first from the right? Also do I shut off any of the valves since I work only on 1 zone

Attachments

• FC9912C4-E36F-4A31-9ECF-7ACCF523279E.jpeg
    FC9912C4-E36F-4A31-9ECF-7ACCF523279E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
Cant tell from the picture,but i will tell you how mine is . From the boiler single pipe then it splits into four lines for four units. Each unit has a zone valve which you gave. The four return lines come together to one pipe which goes back to the boiler .
Now , the hot water coming from the boiler, after it splits into four separate lines,it has a ball shut valve and after that it has a drain outlet.
On the return lines ,after it leaves each unit , i have a drain outlet ,ball shut off, zone valve, ball shut off.
This way i can totally shut one unit down, drain the water out without shutting down other units.
After the repair ,i attach a garden hose to one of the drain outlets to fill the line with water, and a garden hose on the other end to see when the water comes out. I will let the water run for about 2 minutes to get any air out .
After refiling open everything up and hopefully no air in the lines

If you open the zone valves one at a time you can tell what gets hot. you have to close the valves on the right in the photo for the 3 zones you are not working on and shut off the boiler feed. cant tell which zone it is from a photo I write in marker on the copper which valve does what. ie 1st floor 2nd etc.

Back