Help why shower hot/cold mix too sensitive

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbsullynj

Mike
Reaction score
My shower hot cold mix is hard to get just right.
We have a tub faucet and shower with the tub spout diverter, I'll attempt to add a picture.
If I barely nudge the cold knob the mix is either too hot or too cold.
I can't remember when this stated happening.
About 6 months I had the diverter replaced. We had the problem the and the plumber didn't give a reasonable explanation of this problem.
Is there some mixing valve that could be faulty?

IMG_20180207_044901783.jpg

My shower hot cold mix is hard to get just right.
We have a tub faucet and shower with the tub spout diverter, I'll attempt to add a picture.
If I barely nudge the cold knob the mix is either too hot or too cold.
I can't remember when this stated happening.
About 6 months I had the diverter replaced. We had the problem the and the plumber didn't give a reasonable explanation of this problem.
Is there some mixing valve that could be faulty?

Is that a Central Brass faucet? The problem could be in the stems, or maybe loose washers on the end of the stems. If not then the mixing valve is the part that is on the other side of the wall. To change that you are replacing the whole faucet.

Hi Tom
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure about central brass faucet but it looks identical to the attached, lowes part: Delta Chrome Bathtub Spout with Diverter
Item # 819298 Model # U1075-P.
Does that help?

034449670913lg.jpg

Looks like American Standard Aqua Seal trim.

does not have common bib washers but it is possible that they are worn and causing your problem.

amstd.png

Looks like American Standard Aqua Seal trim.

does not have common bib washers but it is possible that they are worn and causing your problem.

Mr. David We always call them hat washers. Your eyes must be better than mine as I can't see the faucet very good. Needed a closer picture for me. LOL
That number from Lowes only brings up that spout for me.

Last edited:
that is an American standard see if you can fine stems with flat
washers (they do make them) I use them in place of the high
hat washers I have seen faucets turn on by themselfs
you won't fiend them at he or lowes go to a plumbing supply
house if you ask for the stems with flat washers the will know
what your talking about

Mr. David We always call them hat washers. Your eyes must be better than mine as I can't see the faucet very good. Needed a closer picture for me. LOL
That number from Lowes only brings up that spout for me.

Is that better?

IMG_20180207_044901783.jpg

Latest posts

Back