Help! Water Main Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropejunki

Reaction score
I went to shut off the water main at the curb but turned the wrong knob. Instead of turning the shutoff valve (on the street side of the meter) I turned the knob on the house side. Water started seeping out (at first) but I kept turning until it seemed to stop. I realized I hadn't turned off the water when I still had pressure in the house. I did a google search and found that I had turned the wrong thing. Went back out and turned off the water. I then turned the knob (house side) back to its original position. Did my work and went to turn the main back on but now water is pouring out of the house side knob!!! I can't get it to stop no matter which way I turn it and now the water main seems "wabbly". Can anyone help?!?!:eek:

I'm new to forums and plumbing issues so please forgive my ignorance. In the photo I am pointing at the "knob" I turned and now if I turn on the shutoff valve (on the right of the meter) water jets back into the hand hole from where I am pointing. I have been searching all evening online for videos or descriptions but have had no luck. When I first lifted the lid there was a small amount of water in the bottom so I am assuming that I made an existing leak even worse.

Water Main.jpg

Your only option is to call the water department responsible for the meter. Hopefully it will be their problem and not yours.

http://iscaper.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mueller-Stop-Waste-Valve.jpg

is this in that hole? if it is, that "knob" >>>> only turns a 1/4 turn<<<<

see the "knob" orientation?

water is on

Mueller-Stop-Waste-Valve.jpg

water is off

th

On most if not all water services the valve on the street side belongs to the water company or district and the one on the house side belongs to you and that is the only one you are allowed to operate. Your valve has probably gone bad. Try turning it off and on a few times to see if the leak stops.

Back