Help to identify this shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxhiker

Reaction score
The fiberglass shower in the second floor is leaking water; I opened cover to change the drain and replace it with something similar to Wingtite shower drain. But I can't figure how to remove the existing drain, the house is roughly 12 yrs old and the shower and it says Oatey drain. SHould I buy some sort of tool to remove the drain or is it glued. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_3292.JPG

On the inside of that drain, there are 4 little square tabs. At one time there was a tool that would fit into those tabs that would help you thread the drain in/out from the top.

On the inside of that drain, there are 4 little square tabs. At one time there was a tool that would fit into those tabs that would help you thread the drain in/out from the top.

thank you, what is that tool called as?

also I cut a hole a 1x1 hole ceiling underneath the drain and was easily able to unscrew the locking nut. But looks like it wasn't doing anything and the drain as be removed from the top or is it glued?

the model is Oatey Casper astm pvc 2665 abc 2661

Last edited:
The tool came with the drain and is usually discarded after installation

So this one does not have a nut on the bottom?
Does the flange on top screw in like a flange into a tub drain shoe?

Yes that's basically the idea. They would give you what is essentially a little flat bar with a slot in the middle so you could thread it down with a flat screw driver, then if you were lucky enough to not have it fall down the drain you just tossed it away!

Not me though...all those little nic nacks go in my tool bag for future service ;)

I removed the plastic nut(kinda hexagonal) now I put it back in this picture, is this the nut you are talking about.

IMG_1355.JPG

Yes that's basically the idea. They would give you what is essentially a little flat bar with a slot in the middle so you could thread it down with a flat screw driver, then if you were lucky enough to not have it fall down the drain you just tossed it away!

Not me though...all those little nic nacks go in my tool bag for future service ;)

I purchased this house last year and didn't get any tools ( I think the works was done by builder contractor) :confused::(

Okay makes since now. The fitting is glued into the bottom of it.
to replace it you are going to have to cut off the offset fitting and p-trap below
Install a new one> I never use the plastic ones. I use brass the brass ones like in the link I posted earlier. But you can use plastic. just rebuild the drain below with a new p-trap

Okay makes since now. The fitting is glued into the bottom of it.
to replace it you are going to have to cut off the offset fitting and p-trap below
Install a new one> I never use the plastic ones. I use brass the brass ones like in the link I posted earlier. But you can use plastic. just rebuild the drain below with a new p-trap

thanks, The shower leaks when someone steps in which creates a gap between the shower and drain. I have question if rebuilding p-trap and below will help me to remove the drain flange from the fiberglass shower.

There is normally a bead of plumbers putty between the flange and the top surface of the pan. seeing as you have the nut loose already maybe you can push or wedge the drain up enough to put a new bead of putty then tighten the nut up again. if nothing is cracked on the drain or flange it might work. If not, the cut off the tail piece and ptrap below. Replace the flange.
Look on the Oatey web site. I saw one that Matt30 may have been talking about. No nut on bottom . You screw the flange in from the top.
Might be easier to tighten up. Those nuts on the bottom can be a real Bear to get snug. I use an over sized basin wrench.

thanks, The shower leaks when someone steps in which creates a gap between the shower and drain. I have question if rebuilding p-trap and below will help me to remove the drain flange from the fiberglass shower.

yes if you remove the nut and cut the fitting in the picture the flange should just lift out. It's better to have a straight piece of pipe coming down into the p-trap. Dry fit a straight tail pc then target that with the p-trap.

thanks for all the replies. I wanted to come back and post what I ended up doing so that others with same issue can get an idea.

1. I cut the old glued p-trap as shown in the picture here.
2. I installed a wingtite drain with straight tail pipe to new p-trap
3. Used Fernco coupler to adjust for 2" gap between waste pipe and p-trap (none of the bends worked).
4. Now I've been using the shower for last 3 days and no issues yet, I hope the Fernco coupling will stay put with the stretch. I will close the dry wall ceiling after waiting for couple of months.

showerdrain_cut.jpg

afterinstall1.jpg

afterinstall2.JPG

Back