Help removing water shut-off valve under sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeker987

Reaction score
I am replacing my kitchen faucet—pretty simple, right? Well, when I went to remove the hot water line to the faucet, I seem to have moved the valve just enough for it to start leaking at the connection to the pipe below. Arrow in attached photo points to the leak. I can’t seem to remove this valve by turning. The pipe does not seem to be cracked. What do I need to do to fix it?

Attachments

• 25DC0895-8475-47C1-97C4-AFB35FC4C19F.jpeg
    25DC0895-8475-47C1-97C4-AFB35FC4C19F.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 22
Turn all the water off, bleed pressure down.
Remove the valve and slide the nut down.
Wrap the brass ferrule with one wrap of Teflon tape in a clockwise direction.

Reinstall valve and snug tight.

Thanks, any suggestions on how to remove the valve? I’ll admit i’m not the strongest, but I’m having trouble removing it.

What twowax is saying is it is a compression fitting.
The valve is not threaded on like with old galvanized pipe.

I've had a leak like that before and I was able to stop it by cranking the compression nut down onto the valve with brute force rather than having to R&R the connection itself. YMMV (your mileage may vary) and you may end up breaking the valve and/or pipe.

Ahhh.. that damned CVPC pipe monster. As it gets older CVPC becomes very brittle and will crack at the slightest stress (I've had 2 in the same house break, just by closing the stops)
You can try what's mentioned above or get a new 1/2" IP stop and a CPVC adaptor and glue it on. Telflon tape the fitting and install it into the stop before gluing it on. That way it's perfectly lined up.

Turn all the water off, bleed pressure down.
Remove the valve and slide the nut down.
Wrap the brass ferrule with one wrap of Teflon tape in a clockwise direction.

Reinstall valve and snug tight.

Correction : Wrap Teflon in counterclockwise direction.

Back