Help please

Discussion in 'Septic Tanks' started by poopinleachbed, Jun 25, 2014.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 25, 2014 #1

poopinleachbed

poopinleachbed

poopinleachbed

I have a 350 gal plastic septic tank everything is hooked up right as far as i can tell from researching my inlet tee is about 8" and my outlet tee is about 15" for some reason all the poop keeps going into the leach bed it's not due to not having it pumped out, I always check it and it just seems to always have water in it instead of the layer of crust then my leach bed gets clogged anyone have any answers? ty

2. Jun 26, 2014 #2

phishfood

phishfood

phishfood

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Septic is not my area of expertise, but I don't believe that 350 gallons is nearly big enough to give the solids time to get digested by the bacteria and settle out.

johnjh2o, plbgbiz and Zanne like this.
  3. Jun 26, 2014 #3

poopinleachbed

poopinleachbed

poopinleachbed

thank you i guess the only option i have is to get another tank and hook it up with the one thats there now and see if that fixes it,i'm out of other options :(

4. Jun 26, 2014 #4

plbgbiz

plbgbiz

plbgbiz

Professional Professional

Dual tanks do not necessarily solve the problem either.

Trash the 350 and install a 1,000 tank.

johnjh2o, phishfood and Zanne like this.
  5. Jun 27, 2014 #5

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

poopinleachline, how many bedrooms do you have in your house? There is a way to estimate the needed size based on number of bedrooms in the house.

You will need to contact your local department of health and sanitation and have them confirm how large of a tank you need. Keep in mind that the size/output of the tank also affects the size of the leach field, although that is also determined by the rate of soil percolation. If your leach field has become saturated it will need to be cleaned out.

My soil percolates fairly well but for a one bedroom house we had a 500 gallon tank. We had to upgrade it to a 1,000 gallon tank because 2 more bedrooms were added. The general idea is that the # of bedrooms is indicative of the number of occupants and is used as a generalization of how much water will be used.

There is a thread on the process of getting a new septic tank here: http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/f11/how-add-replace-septic-sewage-system-5653/

Steps may vary for you depending on your location.

poopinleachbed likes this.