Help! Need help for overhauling shower faucet set.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulla

Reaction score
I am working on a three handle valve system for a bathtub. This comes from a 1930's co-op in DC. Most likely original to the building.

Please see the many photos of the H/C valve and diverter I have posted here.

http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/jmulla54/library/Faucet

One of the stems has a marking that appears to be "Sterlin" ("Sterling"?). The stems have 16 splines.

Here are my questions:

1. The stems look to be in OK shape. Is there a need to replace them? They don't turn very easily.
  2. Is there something I can lubricate the valve with to make it easier to turn? Silicone?
  3. Would it be easy to find the washers for these at a local HD, or will I have to go to a specialty store, or on-line?
  4. Should I also replace the valve seats? Is there any need to put teflon tape or dope on the threads for the seats?
  5. When I reinstall, should I use teflon tape or pipe dope?
  6. Can I buy the escutcheons and sleeves separately? Source?

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated in advance.

So, do you think I would be OK to reuse these stems in their current condition?

I was browing the web and found that Danco makes replacements for Sterling stems, but I can't tell what the model number of these Sterlings is. Any ideas on how to tell?

Got the waterproof grease!

Thanks.

If you replace the cartridges then make sure you replace the seats as well, those cartridges are very common, i think I have 3 on my truck, check out Home Depot, lowes, tru-value etc, most larger hardware stores should have them.

Yup, thanks. I have the seat wrench and removed one of them just to see how easily it came off. Didn't take much. Should the threads of the seats be sealed with telfon?

Nobody has replied about the question of teflon tape vs. pipe dope. What are the opinions on this for these stems??

Back