help me identify clawfoot tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akers8806

Reaction score
I purchased a house last year with a clawfoot tub. It doesn't have a drain stopper and I don't understand what I am looking at. I'm obviously missing a part to the drain.

6b628fb.jpg

Do I just need a rubber plug? Is this a piece to a toe tap stopper?

Additionally... As you can see the whole assembly looks a little rough. The middle knob to switch the flow to the faucet does not work. I can only use this as a shower. Also, the knobs for the hot and cold fall off :D

I'm guessing I'll be better off replacing the entire thing? They are pretty expensive from what I've seen - around $200 - $300. Any recommendations? i don't care for the hand attachment but it needs a faucet and pipe to the shower head.

Thanks in advance!
-Adam

Last edited:
I checked last night and the piece that sticks up does havehave threading on it. If needed, how do I remove it?

Do you see the slit in top of brass inside plastic. Put a flat head on it and turn counterclockwise wise. Then take that to lowes or parts store of your choice. Get a pull up and lock. that has same threads that you have sticking out once you remove old one. The "toe tap" that you have will always give you problems.

thank you, I will take another look tonight!

How would you recommend we clean up and rebuild that assembly? After pricing them out I realize it is an expensive piece and I agree would look beautiful cleaned up. We've tried vinegar soaking and basic bathroom cleaning products (scrubbling bubbles, etc). Is there a product specifically meant for the chrome?

As I mentioned, the hot and cold handles fall off (they pull right off the side) and the middle handle/knob which I assume is to send water to faucet doesn't do anything. Is it even salvageable? (obviously you won't know for certain since you can't come to my house but in theory... is it)

The faucet finish looks to be beyond repair. Those faucets are expensive. I have really never tried to remove hard water stains. CLR does good. But I would say it would at least need to come off and soaked in the cleaner for a day maybe 2. Then find new stems seats and screw. If you find new ones. Those faucets range from Grohe down to Amazon midnight special. So branding it may turn out difficult.

Latest posts

Back