Help - Master Bath Reno - now the water pressure to the bathroom is low?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In new shower heads, there are multiple diverters and water saving devices within them. I just purchased a new Delta shower head, and the salesman showed me that this particular one had 3 separate water savers installed. I had him drill out all three, and I have great water pressure. Please don't call the water cops on us!
Good info. We are having this issue without even having a shower head on - just using the pipe. But we ordered a Delta faucet so I would love to know where those 3 pesky water flow restrictors are so I can remove them when it arrives! Please share :)

Without a showerhead on the pipe I bet it does look like low flow. Have you tried it with a showerhead on the pipe yet ?

Without a showerhead on the pipe I bet it does look like low flow. Have you tried it with a showerhead on the pipe yet ?
Yes, that is how we found the problem - they hooked everything up, took a shower and it was not anything like it used to be. So first I checked for water restrictors and removed those. It improved but not like our kids shower (which we have been using for 8 weeks during the renovation). My next step was to take my kids shower head and put it into our new shower to test it and it was so much lower flow and pressure than the kids shower. That is when we took off all shower heads and just started evaluating the flow from the pipe. And did the bucket test. It took 32 seconds to fill the bucket in our shower and 21 seconds to fill the bucket in the kids shower - only using water from the pipe - not using faucets. I sent the info to the builder and I am waiting for his response. I think a 1/3 difference is a big deal. Especially because we had this amazing water pressure/flow before the remodel.

Was your master shower water volume the same as the kids before the remodel ?

21 seconds going to 32 seconds is just over 50 percent slower bucket filling.

Last edited:
Good info. We are having this issue without even having a shower head on - just using the pipe. But we ordered a Delta faucet so I would love to know where those 3 pesky water flow restrictors are so I can remove them when it arrives! Please share :)
I wish I could tell you but the fixture shop did it, not me. I was in the back of the shop with him, but really wasn't paying close attention.

UPDATE: The builder spoke with the plumber (who hasn't been back to the house) and the plumber said that he is 100% sure there are no kinks/debris. That when you switch from old piping to new piping the water flow/pressure will never be as good. Kind of like switching from an old toilet to a new toilet. Is this true????

The second thing he said is that it could be the valve in the shower faucet (not the shower head) that maybe something is wrong with it so he is getting a new one from Delta. Is it possible that Delta water faucets (not shower heads) don't allow as much water pressure/flow through as units from 15-20 years ago (like our old one)?

I'm just wondering if these are possible fixes or if the plumber just doesn't want to have to go exploring the cause in the walls. I would love your opinions. You have all been so helpful.

Do a flow test with the showerheads on.

You should get at least 2.5 gallons per minute.

When I do remodels the customer never complains of lower flow based off the flow of the shower faucet. I work on old homes and new ones and all in between.

A regular delta valve puts out over 5gpm easily at 70 psi. without a showerhead on the pipe.

Giving us the time it takes to fill a bucket doesn’t matter if we don’t know how much the bucket will hold.

I realize you did a comparison but that’s not the best way check if there’s a problem.

When I do remodels the customer never complains of lower flow based off the flow of the shower faucet. I work on old homes and new ones and all in between.

A regular delta valve puts out over 5gpm easily at 70 psi. without a showerhead on the pipe.

Giving us the time it takes to fill a bucket doesn’t matter if we don’t know how much the bucket will hold.

I realize you did a comparison but that’s not the best way check if there’s a problem.
Does it help if I share is is a 10 quart bucket?

Ok. Had my son do the math. The bucket is 2.5 gallons. So in my kids bathroom it filled at a rate of 7.14 gpm. In my bathroom it filled at 4.68 gpm. Is that significant

By law you can only use 2.5 gallons per shower head.

You’re getting almost double that.

That’s not enough ?

It would be tough to legally make the argument that you’re not getting enough flow.

Regardless of what it is elsewhere in the home if it’s different equipment, especially old faucets compared to new ones, and thats what you have.

I've seen this before. People aren't getting what they are used to so they think there is a problem.

No problem here your just not used to it. I noticed you never said your weren't getting enough water, you said it wasn't the same. Your plumber was right.

Modern living. Every drop that goes down your drain needs to be treated. The powers that be realize this has been a huge waste of money for many years so they now say you need to use less, and companies agree.

I have multiple shower heads in my shower, but really only use more than one when there's more than one person in the shower with me 😊. Having more than one shower head is getting more popular, and different configurations of flow, along with that. Who knows if people are reacting to getting less water, by putting more shower heads into the shower, or if shower valve makers are pushing more fixtures by cutting the water that flows through them?

Either way your fine, good luck and enjoy your new shower

I've seen this before. People aren't getting what they are used to so they think there is a problem.

No problem here your just not used to it. I noticed you never said your weren't getting enough water, you said it wasn't the same. Your plumber was right.

Modern living. Every drop that goes down your drain needs to be treated. The powers that be realize this has been a huge waste of money for many years so they now say you need to use less, and companies agree.

I have multiple shower heads in my shower, but really only use more than one when there's more than one person in the shower with me 😊. Having more than one shower head is getting more popular, and different configurations of flow, along with that. Who knows if people are reacting to getting less water, by putting more shower heads into the shower, or if shower valve makers are pushing more fixtures by cutting the water that flows through them?

Very interesting. I like it better with high pressure/flow 😉

Quick follow-up question JG Plumbing. The rough-in used was R10000-UNWS versus the higher flow R10000-UNBXHF. If we switched out the rough-in to the HF would that solve the low pressure issue?

Quick follow-up question JG Plumbing. The rough-in used was R10000-UNWS versus the higher flow R10000-UNBXHF. If we switched out the rough-in to the HF would that solve the low pressure issue?
You don’t have a low pressure issue.

You can buy a high flow cartridge but I believe it’s non pressure balanced.

Its not meant for use with a shower. It’s not pressure balanced.
https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP73598.html
High flow Delta valves are for showers only. If you have a tub spout and use a high flow valve, water will dribble or run out of the shower head when filling the tub.

pesky little details........

The solution is to switch bathrooms with the kids.🤔🤣🤡

I’m done with this thread. Have a great day and good luck. 👍

Last edited:
You don’t have a low pressure issue.

You can buy a high flow cartridge but I believe it’s non pressure balanced.

Its not meant for use with a shower. It’s not pressure balanced.
https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP73598.html
High flow Delta valves are for showers only. If you have a tub spout and use a high flow valve, water will dribble or run out of the shower head when filling the tub.

pesky little details........

The solution is to switch bathrooms with the kids.🤔🤣🤡

I’m done with this thread. Have a great day and good luck. 👍
Thank you for your patience! The problem is we added a bigger shower so now it is cold with less water flow. I appreciate you taking the time to answer though. I spoke with Delta and they said if we change the Trim to the 17T series then we can get a lot more pressure so we will try this. I realize that you feel we have enough pressure but we have showered with super great water pressure for 20 years so it is hard to get use to! But I am done too. We will try the 17T and see how that improves it and just deal with it from there. Again, I appreciate your input through all of this.

Thank you for your patience! The problem is we added a bigger shower so now it is cold with less water flow. I appreciate you taking the time to answer though. I spoke with Delta and they said if we change the Trim to the 17T series then we can get a lot more pressure so we will try this. I realize that you feel we have enough pressure but we have showered with super great water pressure for 20 years so it is hard to get use to! But I am done too. We will try the 17T and see how that improves it and just deal with it from there. Again, I appreciate your input through all of this.

The 17t will do about 2gpm more so you should be happy with it. You must have a tankless heater, if not get ready to buy one ✌
Here is the spec sheet on the most common delta cartridges.

B6106CB7-179C-4CE3-8B20-050634CE49E2.jpeg
Personally Before I bought anything, I’d take the kids showerhead and try it in my bath......I’d also make sure the Hot water limit stop is adjusted properly. If it isn’t it will mimic low flow. VERY IMPORTANT to adjust the limit stop......

Are you listening about the limit stop ? It might save you some coin......

Latest posts

Back