Help identifying pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDog

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for help identifying a leaking pipe, which can be seen in this photo marked with "FV":

IMG_0327.jpg

The leak is actually around the pipe, not from it (at least at this point, I don't know what's happening above). The leak is a very slow drip, and it seems to be just wetting the OSB rather than dripping down on the basement floor.

This is in a basement of a two story colonial (modular) built in 2006. I've only lived here about two months, so my knowledge of the home is limited to what I can see.

The supply and drain next to this pipe is from the sink in a half bath, which goes from the sink into the wall and down, rather than through the floor. Above the half bath on the second floor is a bedroom.

I went into the attic and checked the vent to make sure there were no leaks at the roof which were following the pipe down. No leaks there, but there's just a single pipe, so nothing to help me determine what this pipe is.

I also shut off the water to the sink and dried the area around the pipe with a hair dryer. My thinking is if the leak stops, then the leak must be from the sink drain and is coming out around this pipe.

I'd really rather avoid opening up the sheetrock in the half bath, but I'm thinking that's what I'll probably have to do.

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I happen to have a plumber coming next week to install a new hot water heater, so if I can figure this out I can have him fix it while he's here if necessary.

Thanks!

can not tell from your picture.

but, FV generally stands for "future vent"

if that is a future vent, that is run out the roof. it is most likely full of water, from rain and snow.

trace the pipe,>>>..before cutting<<<<

if a vent, cut the cap off, drain it, go on the roof, put a cap on the other end..do not glue it

just something to keep water from dripping in

Latest posts

Back