Help identify water softener brand/model so I can order parts...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironmanvsaquaman

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'll try to condense this as best as I can...

I've been having water pressure problems, so the well guy came out and said the water softener was plugged up and needed service. Another guy came out to look at the softener and said that parts are no longer available so the whole system would need to be replaced. The softener is only 10 years old, so I was surprised to hear that, and a little skeptical.

The guy said the softener was made by "Echo". I'm not sure if that's the right spelling, but that's how he pronounced it. Maybe its "Eco"? I know there are companies such as EcoPure and EcoWater. Is it one of them? I wouldn't be surprised if there are other brands containing "eco"/"echo". He also said they were bought by Culligan some years ago -- Maybe that will ring a bell with one of you?

I've posted pictures of the system below. I'm hoping someone recognizes this system so I can get parts for it, or at least be certain that they're not available before I give it a death sentence. (Sometimes when someone tells you parts aren't available, it actually means they can't get them through their particular distributor or supply chain, but they can be found elsewhere.)

Thanks in advance!

resz-4.jpgresz-6.jpgresz-7.jpgresz-13.jpgresz-1.jpgresz-24.jpg

So it's an EcoWater.
I searched one of the part numbers printed on a sticker on the body and it didn't turn up an exact match, but it gave me a couple hits for similar numbers with the same format, one of which was a bypass valve. It wasn't the same valve as the one I've got, but it was a very similar sliding/spool design, and it fit many different brands of softener. Turns out it's compatible with so many brands because they're all made by EcoWater. Mine happens to be EcoWater brand and not private label. In fact, it's from a line that is proprietary to EcoWater and not sold under any other brand name.

I was able to confirm this via an e-mail to this place:
Ecowater Proprietary Parts - Dealer Only-7218688

After that, I found a nearby (former) EcoWater dealer who was able to identify it as either an EWS100 or EWS130. I think the only difference is the tank size.

Yesterday, I was able to get a copy of the original invoice from the landlord (which should have been the very first thing I did) and it is a model EWS100S.

With guidance from the dealer, I was able to check and correct some of the settings in the control box. It is a dual-disc valve, but it was set to single disc, hence the error message and inoperation. After I corrected the settings, the machine started running again. Apparently a power outage/surge can corrupt the settings, requiring them to be manually reset.

It may still have some issues from going for so long without regenerating. I've only recently had access to the softener, so I don't know how long ago it stopped working, but it may have been a couple years.

Back