Help Identify this Part

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abacus822

Reaction score
I just purchased this:

KOHLER Canada: K-R13492-4: Kelston® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and shower faucet trim:

Kohler bath and shower fixture set for updating old bathtub/shower fixtures. I was able to remove the tub spout very easy, it just screwed off. I found a plastic pipe (threaded end) that extended out from the wall and it got very thick as it got closer to the wall (it looked like there was a copper pipe underneath it). I removed this "covering" to find a copper coupling?? underneath. I am really not sure what this piece is and all of the websites I go to for images of "fixtures" do not show me the same shape as the attached image. It appears "dumbell" shaped with a threaded end (which the plastic covering pipe screwed onto) that hooks to the wall pipe and the other end has an O-Ring with a 3/4" opening (this end has no threading inside or out). Please Help!!

I would like to be able to install a .25" nipple coming out of the wall 5" like the instructions indicate but I am not sure how to do it in this case.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

photo.jpg

That piece goes inside of your tub spout (it usually comes pre-inserted when you buy a kohler unit), the side towards the wall is threaded to attach to a standard 1/2" MIP (as your picture shows). It should simply unscrew, although from the looks of it it may be gummed up with calcium deposits.

Slow Drip,

Thanks so much for your help! I tried to unscrew it before but it seems very hard to budge and I didn't want to damage an pipes before I knew what it was. I will look into getting something like liquid wrench to help remove it. If you have any suggestions beyond some good old fashion elbow grease please let me know.

You are on the right track with getting something to loosen it up, any penetrating oil should do the job. In a pinch even white vinegar will help.

Latest posts

Back