Help...Getting ripped off on wall sink issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimK

Reaction score
This is likely an odd question but hopefully somene here can help me.

Is there a plumbing code for the mounting of a wall mount bathroom sink? does the sink have to be mounted to a stud or can the mounting bracket be safely attached to the wall with self tapping hollow wall anchors?

I'm asking the question because of a situation that has occured. My wife's work rented a clubhouse in a local subdivision. I went into the restroom and went to the sink to wash my hands. There was a soap container on the wall mounted sink. I went to pump soap out and the sink pulled away fromt he wall. I put almost no pressure on the sink and it came off the wall. The metal bracket that holds the sink in place was being held by two white nylon screw in hollow wall anchors with scres installed into them. The had pulled out of the drywall.
The homeowners association is not making us pay for the repair. They havent goven the amount yet but said it took abotu four hours to fix. When I looked at the mount there was no damage to anything but the holes where the anchors came out of the drywall. I can't figure out what took four hours. No plumbing was damaged at all. We put a stool under the sink to hold it up when it pulled away from the wall. They did say that the plumber put a horizontal wood brace in to hold the mount. I told them they should have had that in the first place. They said the sink has been there 9 years with no problems and said the sink in the women's restroom is mounted the same way and has no problems. They said it took just as mush time to add the wood between the studs and cost no additional money. They are forcing me to pay out of the security deposit that was made when the clubhouse was rented.
I plan to take them to small claims court. I am attempting to find a building or plumbing code as far as appropriate ways to mount the sink. Any help is appreciated. The homeowners association that rents out the clubhouse is claiming the hollow wall anchors are commonly used and perfectly acceptable.

Thanks in advance!!

Tim

As far as i know there is no actual code for the mounting of a sink. There IS however such a thing as common sense, and a heavy porcelain basin that holds a couple of pounds of water and may need to support a child or such pulling on it in no way should be secured by hollow wall anchors.

There is no way this took four hours to fix. If it did, their repairman is incompetent in the extreme. In fact, why did they have a plumber involved at all, since no plumbing was damaged and plumbers tend to be more expensive than the general handyman needed to fix this issue?

Can they prove that there was no previous damage and that the sink wasn't just barely hanging there?

If the sink had fallen on you and hurt you could easily sue them. Trust me as someone that works in retail, if something in a building breaks and hurts you, you will win a lawsuit. With this in mind, I don't really think they have a leg to stand on. Or a wall to hang on :p

Is it an ADA compliant fixture? If so, you might want to check with them to determine legal mounting requirements. I do know the drain tubes must be covered with a soft material and has height requirements, but before I add anymore, I would need to know if it was installed for disabled persons.

I will have to check and see if it is ADA compliant. I am going to pay for the damages and then take them to small claims court. I have to gather as much documentation as possible to show the sink had inadequate installation. I can't believe common sense would allow them to even think hollow wall anchors would hold. Surely a judge would see that the sink was destined to come off the wall in this case. It's more about the principal than the money at this point.

There should be a Building Code Enforcement office in your area. Probably wherever you obtain permits for new construction. Call them. Since this building is being used as a rental, they are under the same rules as Commercial buildings.

You saw the anchor. Can you find the original anchors used and maybe compare to one at the hardware store.
They are usually labeled with their holding capacity and proper installation.
Try to find the installation instruction for that sink if possible.
They will usually tell you in the instruction to install proper backing in the wall to support the sink.
Take a picture and post it here. We maybe able to give you more info

UPC says this:

407.4 Wall-Hung Fixtures. Wall-hung fixtures shall
be rigidly supported by metal supporting members
so that no strain is transmitted to the connections.
Flush tanks and similar appurtenances shall be
secured by approved non-corrosive screws or bolts.

Back