HELP! Forgotten plaster guard and valve in shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguino

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need advice ASAP! My contractor has been renovating our bathroom and is almost done. They've redone the plumbing, reinstalled drywall, tiled, and installed the shower door.

Today, my contractor started installing the shower head and shower handle and called me saying that the fixtures I bought is missing the valve and plaster guard. Up until this point I had no idea I was missing those pieces because I just ordered this trim kit from Amazon thinking that was what I'm supposed to purchase. I know very little about plumbing and just picked a shower handle that matched the color scheme.

In doing research - I'm seeing online that the valve and plaster guard should've been items that were installed INSIDE the wall before the wall and tiles went up. Is this correct? I asked my contractor and he said it's a non-issue...but I'm suspicious that he's not telling the truth.

Why is it this late in the renovation process before he notices that the valve and plaster guard are missing? What is the proper way to fix this error? Will he have to take down the new shower tiles? Does this jeopardize the waterproofing of the materials?

HELP PLEASE!!!!

IMG_0067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some diverters come with a plastic cover for protecting the valve body from the grout slinging tile guys. It also is used to set the valve depth on rough. It gets removed when the trim goes on.

Reactions: SHR
Back