HELP Bathroom sink drain broke off at wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyjjohn55

Reaction score
Novice here. Need some old school advice. I've gutted a 5 X 7 60 year old bathroom to the stud walls. When removing the sink drain piece that goes from the trap into the wall, I assumed it was a threaded connection. It wasn't and I ended up breaking it in 2 pieces. By these pictures can anyone tell me how the connection was made up. Like solder or lead or what? And most importantly, how would I connect a new piece. Thanks for helping out a dummy! Michael J

100_4701.jpg

100_4702.jpg

100_4704.jpg

What you have is a brass solder bushing into a female ell. Very carefully using a metal saw cut through the solder bushing from inside. Make two cuts a 1/2" apart through the bushing without cutting into the threads of the ell. Remove the 1/2" section using a small chisel or screwdriver. With the 1/2" section removed the rest should be able to be picked out. Then install a trap adbt. into the ell.

John, Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like you know your stuff. A few questions more if you don't mind. Should I have been able to unscrew this pipe from the fitting in the first place or was just corroded to the point that it broke off? When you say a "metal saw" is that like a hacksaw blade? So, as I understand it, there are threads on the female ell but the drain pipe was soldered into place anyway? Lastly, I don't know what a "trap adbt" is. Is that a piece that would thread into the ell? Would that be a Home Depot type item or a plumbing supply store item.
Thanks again for your time and advice! I do appreciate it. I really like being a DIYer but this one was beyond my experience. The good thing is that I learned something new and may be able to avoid a costly service call.

Sincerely, Michael Johnson (Mon., 10:52 PM CDT)

The solder bushing was soldered onto the trap then screwed into the female ell. What happened is the pipe was corroded and broke off where it was soldered onto the trap. This is the fitting you will need in place of the solder bushing. When you replace the trap use a plastic trap with slip nuts.

TRB_192B.jpg

John, This remodel is still a work in progress but your advice was just what I needed to keep progressing. If you give me an address, I can put 20 bucks in the mail to you this weekend. Now if I can just stay motivated to keep at it, this project might be done by Labor Day! Thanks, Michael J

John, As per your request, I put $20 in the mail today to the address I received back from the Wounded Warrior Project website. For anyone else who may want to donate to this worthy cause, the address is:

Wounded Warrior Project
P. O. Box 75841
Topeka, KS 66675-8541

Thanks again for the plumbing help. Michael J

Must be a run on soldered traps this week. :D

BTW:

Class act with the suggestion to donate to the Wounded Warrior Project. Well done sir.

Back