Hello from Texas just posted a question about this strange (to us) setup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect it's a way to vent a sink drain when you can't go up.

Thank you. We researched island vent versus Air admittance valve since the loop at the top is in the way of the new sink’s faucet. We had to unexpectedly cut the granite countertop an inch back for the new sink then the loop was in the way. Never as easy as you think!

If you are putting in a new sink, you should install an AAV. It looks like you will need to cut the drain line below the existing sanitee that the existing P-trap arm goes. You need to check your local codes to see if this is allowed in your location. You should cap or plug the other line below the floor where it goes into the sewer line. See my sketch, and I apologize for its messiness.

You may want to 45 off the new sanitee, or come off the Sanitee at a 1/4" to the foot slope, to move the AAV to the side of the sink to get it higher than the bottom of the sink. Some jurisdictions require the AAV be above the flood level of the fixture it is venting. In any case, the higher the better and provide ready access to it.

AAV Sketch.png

If you are putting in a new sink, you should install an AAV. It looks like you will need to cut the drain line below the existing sanitee that the existing P-trap arm goes. You need to check your local codes to see if this is allowed in your location. You should cap or plug the other line below the floor where it goes into the sewer line. See my sketch, and I apologize for its messiness.

You may want to 45 off the new sanitee, or come off the Sanitee at a 1/4" to the foot slope, to move the AAV to the side of the sink to get it higher than the bottom of the sink. Some jurisdictions require the AAV be above the flood level of the fixture it is venting. In any case, the higher the better and provide ready access to it.

AAV Sketch.png
Thank you. Very helpful!

Back