Hello everyone! New member here

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazeaglory

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. My names D from Southern CA and Im currently replacing the garbage disposal under my grandmother's sink and ran into some seriously clogged pipes at the stub out or sanitary trap elbow(unsure of exact names). Anyways, I'm familiar with basic construction, plumbing, etc... but I have some questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

Here's what I started with. The disposal in the pic was put in roughly 10 to 12 years ago and the pipes were never replaced at that time. Mostly everything under there was done in the early 80s/ late 70s. You can see how clogged they were.

A couple pics are of the final stage im currently at with new disposal and a longer (steel) stub out. Im thinking about reducing the out to 4"to 6" (currently 8").

Any suggestions? Thanks all and nice to meet everyone

Attachments

• 20220615_141517.jpg
    20220615_141517.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220615_141605.jpg
    20220615_141605.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220621_034945.jpg
    20220621_034945.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220621_035012.jpg
    20220621_035012.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220618_032525.jpg
    20220618_032525.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220618_200606.jpg
    20220618_200606.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Welcome looks like a little work ahead of you,try a wet vac to clear some of that stuff out of the piping, do you have basement access to the piping???? It may be time to change some of it

Here's where im at so far. I ditched the 8" stub out for a 6" and it's much better. A quick put together with a long wall tube but I was thinking I could cut the wall tube to almost an elbow and turn the P-trap to be closer to the stub out. But so far there's no leaks in this setup. I have to take it all apart to snake the wall and tie up some loose ends to finally put it together once and for all.

No basement access but I do have a crawl space. There is also a access point right behind this wall outside as well as the roof vent. But the clog is in the bend of the pipe inside the wall and the trap access or whatever is underneath it while the roof vent (trying to snake) misses it altogether. I did chisel out quite a bit and vacuum out whatever I could so I did manage to break allot of it up but im worried I might break too far into the rusted metal and poke a hole (if it's even that bad?). So far so good. Fingers crossed

I still have yet to test the washing machine air gap Haha

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• 20220621_152206.jpg
    20220621_152206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220621_152158.jpg
    20220621_152158.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I would get rid of the Galvi nipples use pvc,or and abs what ever that black plastic is, I would also install what's called a (dandy clean out) looks like a tee with a threaded plug for closer access to the main drain ,unless it's to crowded already you could replace the disposal trap with a pvc/abs sch 40 trap and pipe it's just a sturdier material,you would gain some space if you repiped these comments are just my opinion!!!!!

I would get rid of the Galvi nipples use pvc,or and abs what ever that black plastic is, I would also install what's called a (dandy clean out) looks like a tee with a threaded plug for closer access to the main drain ,unless it's to crowded already you could replace the disposal trap with a pvc/abs sch 40 trap and pipe it's just a sturdier material,you would gain some space if you repiped these comments are just my opinion!!!!!

Thanks! Those are great suggestions. Im open to all opinions because I feel that's the way we move forward using bits and pieces of everyone's ideas. In just a rookie but have worked in construction with part time plumbing back in my 20s but never really got deep into anything other than replacing water heaters, drains, toilets, etc. Never any major work .

One galvi nipple is threaded into the sanitary T at the wall and the other end is threaded into ABS/PVC to begin the P-trap plastic "line". I'm going to open everything back up and snake the stub out into the main drain line to see how that pipe holds up but if it starts ripping apart I might just do what you suggested. I do have a clean out on the other side outside wall as well. Im very tempted to just cut a big area out of the wall under the sink and see exactly what is going on back there as there's TWO stub outs/ drain lines. Im guessing they both end in the main line while sharing the roof vent?

Also, I think I am using that "pvc/abs sch 40 trap and pipe" . At least that's what I thought I was buying anyways. Haha

Back