Heavy Iron In Well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaik77

Reaction score
I had the well water tested before any filtration system and the only shown problem was heavy iron levels. Anyone seen this amount of clumping from just iron levels?

Attachments

• A9EAE617-2B47-4505-8687-C184939365AF.jpeg
    A9EAE617-2B47-4505-8687-C184939365AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • C47A68BF-5B9D-40D4-A3CF-AC203CB4B14C.jpeg
    C47A68BF-5B9D-40D4-A3CF-AC203CB4B14C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Looks a lot like my water and the residue it leaves behind, but I don't have a filtration system. Do you have a lot of red clay soil in your area?

Looks a lot like my water and the residue it leaves behind, but I don't have a filtration system. Do you have a lot of red clay soil in your area?
Yes I do.. Any thoughts on a solution

And use Iron-Out to clean the softener once a month.
Run a full recharge cycle afterwards, and also run plenty of cold water through a slop sink or hose faucet, to further purge the Iron Out from the softener.
And use the salt pellets made for iron cleaning.
And add a large sediment filter before the softener.
If it clogs too often, move it to after the softener.

yes i have seen this, when you drill a well there is no telling what you will get.
there used to be a company called culligan water treatment that did a very good job with this .

Filters add to the burden on a pump, but I wouldn't want to be without a pre-filter for that water. That amount of iron could easily overload a softener. In our area, the common water service is Ecowater. They have a drip treatment for softeners using a citric acid based solution. I haven't tried it yet, and we don't have nearly that degree of iron, but it will be the next thing I try. There are softener salts (as Jeff H mentioned) with iron reducers also.

Unless your water is tested at a tap in the house and found to have bacteria, I wouldn't want to open and treat the well. If it has been opened, however, it should be treated. As another poster mentioned, you do not want to get a problem started with iron-sulfur bacteria.

That citric acid treatment sounds interesting.
Mainly because the Iron Out cleaner smells and tastes terrible, and can trigger asthma attacks in some people.

one town in the arctic called pond inlet Baffin island , had water that smelled of rotten eggs, it was so bad that you had to leave the shower door open. You never know what you are going to get .

I can't offer any solutions. We boil our water and use Brita filters in the house. We don't drink the tap water. Have never set up any sort of softener or filter but really should. The solutions offered sound like they make sense.

Latest posts

Back