Having Issue With an American Standard

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lila

Reaction score
How do you remove the handle of an American Standard push-pull shower faucet? What kind of screw attaches the handle? If it's the one with a "T" handle, there is an Allen screw on the bottom of it. But sometimes it is still difficult to pull the handle off even after the screw is removed.

How do you remove the handle of an American Standard push-pull shower faucet? What kind of screw attaches the handle? If it's the one with a "T" handle, there is an Allen screw on the bottom of it. But sometimes it is still difficult to pull the handle off even after the screw is removed.

I've worked on this exact faucet. That allen screw has a long rod beyond the threads. A hole will be in the end of the stem for that to pass through, keeping the handle from falling off when turning.

That handle and stem were machined too close to tolerance and any amount of calcium/soap buildup makes it difficult to remove.

When you get it removed, make sure you use grease on those parts so it doesn't happen again.

The true rebuild kits for that faucet are fun, lots of small parts. I'd be upgrading and getting new, knowing what I experienced on the last one I did.

The one I did leaked not 4 months later, it was a true rebuild as well.

Back