Has anyone seen this before?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCommonSense

Reaction score
The hot water supply line for my GE dishwasher partially melted a hose on the drain pump.

Yesterday, my dishwasher wouldn't drain. After determining that the drain lines were clear, I began to look at the drain pump. I took it off and noticed that the rubber hose that connects it to the sump was pretty well melted but still holding. After looking some more, I saw that the hot water supply line must have been laying on that hose (yes, I am the one that installed it).

Has anyone seen this before?

My wife is out picking up a new pump now. Even if that's not the actual problem, I am replacing it because it looked like the melted part could go at any time. Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen this. The hose that was melted is the one at the left of the picture below. It's very soft rubber (or rubber like material).

1619647009173.png

Thanks!

The dishwasher probably has a heating element to heat water, and maybe the thermostat for that is defective.

Your home water should be 120 f, some folks like to go 130 f.

I thought about that after I posted this and you're right, there's no way the hot water line could get that hot. But the picture below is the actual part. Maybe it was a mouse??

Also, the damaged area in the picture was facing down so even if the hot water line was across it, it would have been on the other side.

1619737012672.png

The heating element is about an inch above the base of the machine and this part of the pump sits about 1.5 inches below the base, but maybe that was it.

almost looks like something chewed it. Like a rat

But you said it wouldn’t drain, so I guess it melted shut ?

It didn't melt shut. I could look right down through the chewed hose and see the impeller.

But the old pump didn't drain and the new one did. Maybe there was a pinhole on the chewed part? I don't know - when I presurize or put a vacuum to the old pump (with my mouth) I can't detect any leaks.

When I hooked the input terminals directly to 120 volts, in spins like a champ (the old one). Also, while I had the dishwasher out, I did vacuum out the drain lines and got some gunk out so maybe that was the drain problem. Either way, I needed to replace the pump because the hose was very thin and felt week in that area.

Also, the dishwasher is still not working. I think it might need a control board because I am not getting 120V to the circulator motor. I don't know if it was circulating before because all I have is my wife's description of what it was doing.

Mice like to chew stuff like that. When you get a new one, put peppermint oil on it. Mice don't like peppermint oil.

HaHA. No rats, just mice.

All is working now. The new adapter/wiring harness that came with the new pump was not making proper contact. Once I straightened that out, everything was good.

While I had it out, I vacuumed the whole drain line path and did get some gunk out of it. That may have been the original problem but I'm glad I replaced the pump because the hose on it was very thin due to the mice. Thanks all!

Also, I found some service manual / Repair manual for GE diswashers at the links below. If you google service manuals for your particular model, be careful. A lot of Russian web sites come up that want a credit card. Don't do that!

These links below actually had manuals. They wern't for my exact model but they were close enough.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7/viewhttps://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/attachments/dishwasher-service-manual-012718-pdf.36612/

Thanks for the update, NoCommonSense. I'm glad that you got it working. And yeah, the Russian sites are pretty bad. Especially since they have a symbol that looks like "a" but isn't and you can't tell from looking at it visually.

Latest posts

Back