"Gurgling" in Bathtub Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitjv

Reaction score
Today I heard a rather loud "gurgling" sound coming from the bathtub drain. The sound was similar to water being drained from a wash machine. However, there was no water running from any of the fixtures in the house. No toilets were being flushed. The sound lasted for about 5 minutes, then stopped. I confirmed that there were no water leaks, including in the crawlspace. Interestingly, my wife mentioned that this same sound occurred in another bathroom about 3 months ago.

Any idea what this might be? Thank you so much.

That thought occcured to me as well. I will check with the city sewer department tomorrow. Thank you for your response.

If you are on city sewer . I hope you aren't the lowest house on the street. I've seen house at bottom of hill or near sewer lift station get flooded from other houses sewer if line backs up . I hope you make out ok.

Yes, we are on city sewer. However, our house is situated near the top of a hill. So any sewer backups would not be an issue for us. So I can only surmise that the "gurgling" sound is associated with some activity occurring elsewhere along the sewer line along the street.

Usually when you here gurgling in a bathtub it’s because a drain has backed up

At the Very least it could be a dry trap for whatever reason.

It’s definitely a problem. Tubs don’t gurgle out of the blue.....

Back