Grinder pump question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hopeful that someone can help me. I'm building a new house upstate, we're doing everything (apart from the foundations) ourselves. We were informed that we would need to install a grinder pump in the house, which would run to the main sewer line.
There is only one toilet in the house, so we didn't think it would be an extreme expense, was i wrong!

After looking at grinder pumps, we figured a smaller one would suffice. Yet, now we are being told that we have to have one that is minimum 220v and 1 1/2" output. The quotes i have gotten are around the $4,500 mark, and that's even without installation.
Surely there has to be something under a thousand that we can install?

We don't have a basement, so it would have to be installed outside, i had planned to build housing under the crawl space and install it there, right under the bathroom.

The distance from the grinder pump location to the main sewer lines is approx 40 feet.

please help!

unfortuneatelly that is the going price for grinder pumps in that range. even with only 1 toilet there are things that go down into the lift station that arnt easilly ground up and 220 volt is the minimum you would need so as not to be constantlly poping breakers.

what is happening is that your homes services exit the building under the grade level of the nearest sewers and so a lift station must be installed that is capablle of keeping up with the demand with all fixtures running and that is based on the disvcharge pipe size, which I wager having done the math before that 1 1/2 is what the installer has figured would be able to keep up. otherwise what ends up happening is that the holding tank overfills and starts to back up into the main DWV piping, and finally starts comin out of the lower fixtures such as showers and tubs on bottom floor.

This is a case of "Do it right the first time or regret it later and spend even more to have it fixed and done right"

Shop around and you may find better pricing but 5 Grand is a common starting Number for installation and material, we did one of these a few weeks back and the final bill was around that mark.

You are definatelly not going to find anything that will suit your needs for under a grand, Sorry.

Hope this helps.

Yea and plan on installing it in a location that is very easy to access as you will need to maintenance that thing periodically. if you dont plan on doing it then you will have to pay someone to and the harder it is to work on the more expensive it will be.

I have zero knowledge on this topic, but I Googled "macerator" and found numerous pumps, as well as toilets with built in macerators, and the most expensive one found was $719, and that included the toilet! I also looked around for any 220v units, but was unsuccessful.

There are other pumps out there that are around 600 to 1000 dollar range that will do what you are asking. Do a search for sump pumps that can handle 2" solids and has a two inch discharge. They are not built as good as some of the more expensive grinder pumps, but should last you more than a few years. Something along these lines may give you some time to build up some money to get a better pump in the future.

(Grinder pumps) by name are for the most part very expensive, but they are built to do as there name implies, and they do last for a number of years.

Definitely follow john's lead and links on this one. I have installed these same systems and they have a great performance record. Some that I have serviced have run 8-15 years without issues (depending on what was put down the drains).
A $4,500 quote on a new construction install...actually, without installation, seems very high. Could there be some details that would warrant such a high cost that weren't mentioned?

Hi,

Not leaving anything out. I've had a quote for the pump package only and it's been the cheapest one i can find so far, it's for $3,500 for Liberty 2484LSG outdoor package... Anyone have any suggestions to something that would be the same, only it wouldn't leave me eating ramen noodles for the next year? that doesn't include installtion, just the unit.

the only problem is, it is a mandatory 1 1/2" discharge. So i can't use anything that is 2", I've asked why and just told, that's it.. want plumbing, you get that a unit that conforms.

I personally love me a Myers grinder pump. I know first hand that they can grind up snakes (yes, the REAL reptile, not a cable rod!) so they go thru solids with ease and the motors last a long time. Last one i pulled out was a Myers and it was 16 years old.

Yup myers are awesome, this is what we replace outdated grinder pumps with in my area.

http://www.femyers.com/products/sse/sse_mrg20sys.html

price varies depending on your requirements, some can be pricy as they can do custom orders which is what we usually install as we are replacing the pump and lid onto an existing station and piping. since you are at the install stage, they might well have a package for you .

Although some are pricy, its not exactly something you should cheap out on either. You're best off to spend a little more money now rather than replace the pump again 5 years down the road.

Latest posts

Back