Gray water in toilets and tanks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mylefamily

Reaction score
All 3 my toilets and the tanks all of the sudden have gray water! There are two upstairs and one downstairs. The sinks are running clear. Any idea what this is or why it happened? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Can't diagnose without a lot more investigation.
Fill a white bucket with water from other sources...narrow down if your entire water supply has the same issue.
It is not likely a toilet-only problem.

All 3 my toilets and the tanks all of the sudden have gray water! There are two upstairs and one downstairs. The sinks are running clear. Any idea what this is or why it happened? Thanks!

It’s just likely all of your water, not just the toilets.

If you have a filter system, check it.

If you have neighbors, have them check their toilets or water in general for discoloration.

If you have a well, have your water tested.

If you have city water, call them and also have it tested.

It’s always good to know what’s in your water.

Did you put one of those chlorine-based devices in your toilet tanks? They might’ve eaten the rubber seals. Look in the tanks and see what the water looks like.

The water in my toilet tank also looks dark and there are a lot of black specs in it. After I clean the toilet with a brush, it gets a dark coating from the water line on down in just a few days. My sinks don't have that problem. I'd like to find the root cause and have it tackled.

Same question as before, what does an inspection of the inside of the tank reveal?

The water in my toilet tank also looks dark and there are a lot of black specs in it. After I clean the toilet with a brush, it gets a dark coating from the water line on down in just a few days. My sinks don't have that problem. I'd like to find the root cause and have it tackled.
My guess is it’s mildew.

Same question as before, what does an inspection of the inside of the tank reveal?
It has lots of black specs and dark build up on the insides. I've used the tank cleaner I got from Amazon and it helps for a couple of days. I'll check into the mildew possibility.

/*

Instant Power Toilet Tank Cleaner – Bathroom Toilet Cleaning Powder, Removes Rust and Other Minerals, No Scrubbing, 16 Oz​

*/​

OK, and did it work? How does the water in the tank look before and after? If you lift the flapper with your hand, do you get black (disintegrated rubber) on your fingers? It _feels_ like your flapper is disintegrating from here, given the information you've provided.

/*

Instant Power Toilet Tank Cleaner – Bathroom Toilet Cleaning Powder, Removes Rust and Other Minerals, No Scrubbing, 16 Oz​

*/​

OK, and did it work? How does the water in the tank look before and after? If you lift the flapper with your hand, do you get black (disintegrated rubber) on your fingers? It _feels_ like your flapper is disintegrating from here, given the information you've provided.
It did work, but the black coating on the bottom of the tank came back. I checked the flapper, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. It was slimy, but not black on my fingers. The tank in the other bathroom also has dark matter in the bottom of it, but not as bad. It coats the bottom of the tanks. I can brush it off and flush it down. Still investigating.

If it's still in your tank, then it may be upstream of there, try swapping the flexible supply line to the toilet?

Try using a glass jar or jug to catch some water from an outside hose Bibb as close to the source as possible. (At the well )

See if it’s contaminated with your black stuff

I recently had a septic line (big pipe in the basement) cleared of roots which were causing a backup into the tub. I would turn on the sink faucet and water would come up in the tub. Since I had the roto-rooter type of machine clear the roots, the toilet doesn't have that dark film on the porcelain (water level). It's only been a few days, so I'll keep checking to see if it comes back.

I recently had a septic line (big pipe in the basement) cleared of roots which were causing a backup into the tub. I would turn on the sink faucet and water would come up in the tub. Since I had the roto-rooter type of machine clear the roots, the toilet doesn't have that dark film on the porcelain (water level). It's only been a few days, so I'll keep checking to see if it comes back.

That will have zero affect on the water in your toilet tank.

Reactions: W J
Back