Got my NG Tankless Water Heater install and I have some questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
I recently had a Natural Gas Navien tankless water heater installed but I wanted to get your guys opinion if it was installed right. It was installed in the garage with the exhaust vent running out but the intake (fresh air) is pulling from the garage - It that code? To me it sounds like air should be coming from the outside?

WH.jpg

Last edited:
check your local code.

common practice to have the combustion air pulled in from the garage.

your gas heating unit sitting next to it looks to be pulling in its air from the garage also

if you are concerned, cut a 6'' hole in the garage wall, slap a louver on it

Thanks for your reply! They are both pulling combustion air from the garage and they were both replaced by the same guy.

If you go online to the Navien website, you will find a PDF which shows the installation guide, depending on the model number. It will tell you if it is acceptable to draw the intake air from inside the garage. While you are at it, make sure the exhaust is an acceptable length.

I don't think they got any permits when they installed this.

...mmm...
sad-blinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

I would think when you hiring a professional HVAC person that they would take care of everything and explain the whole deal about permits but he didn't say a word and I didn't think anything about it until a few months later but it's too late now. This is my first home that I own (bought it last spring) and I already learned a lot that I would have done differently now.

Before you get worried, give Navien a call. Their guys are very friendly and helpful, and will answer all your questions. When I installed my Navien, they even sent out a tech (yeah, I only lived 20 miles from the factory) but he was side by side with my contractor and made sure it was installed correctly. And no, I didn't pull permits on my job as well.

I would think... :rolleyes: ...that any gas appliance (say other than a range and I don't think delivery services will hook them up any longer) would require either a permit or participation by a certified gas fitter.

As for having the furnace in the garage along with the fresh air intake, what about chemicals/fuels stored or someone running/working on their car?

And while I am still b!tching... :mad:

(Retaining water this week...)

If you are not worried by possible asphyxiation, what if there was something to happen that required either a fire marshal or insurance adjuster inspection afterwards? :eek:

This is just an observation. It is not directed to anyone in particular... :D

The pic posted was from my own Navien installation, where the intake and exhaust are separated only by inches, but are both outside. Yeah, Kultulz brings up a good point regarding flammable fumes.

Water heater repair (14).jpg

Back