Getting to the temperature control

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frumple

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to increase the temperature on a shower. I'm in a recently-built house and right now it only goes up to lukewarm.

After opening things up I can see the temperature control right there - all I should need to do is turn it counterclockwise a bit.

It looks like if I could get that brass "cap" on the stem off then I'd be able to remove the first plastic disc and then then take off the temperature control, turn it, and put it back on. But I can't figure out how to get the cap off. The cap is able to move slightly up and down on the stem which makes me think it isn't screwed on. Turning the cap just turns on the water since it's the thing that the handle grips onto. There is a screw that goes into the hole in the center of it and connects it to the stem (removed in the picture). That screw was definitely one thing keeping it on, but even with the screw removed I can't pull it off. I've tried as much force as I dare.

The outside of this faucet looks like one of these but what I'm seeing inside doesn't look like anything in their assembly instructions, so I'm at a loss.

I'd really appreciate some ideas.

IMG_20170905_191816.jpg

If you took a screw out of the center of the brass thing, then it should pull off.
Here are installation instructions for a pressure balance valve.

Page 14 is the scald guard adjustment

hansgrohe install.pdf

Capture.JPG

Thanks for your reply, and for finding those instructions. That looks exactly like my system except for one thing... which is the brass "cap" that's giving me trouble. I don't see that piece anywhere in the manual.

I went and tried pulling on it with more force but no luck. I have a second shower with the same system so I took the handle off of that one to see if it's the same. It is. Once I take the screw out of the middle I can move the cap slightly up and down on the stem, but I can't get it off. So at least this behavior is probably by design.

Side question: Any idea what this brass cap part is called? The correct terminology may be helpful in my hunting around for answers.

EDIT: I think I found the right link. My system is this

The documentation here does show the brass piece, and refers to it as a handle adapter. So that's that question answered. But I still don't see what's holding the handle adapter on once the screw comes out.

Last edited:
Try a handle puller. It should just pull off after taking the center screw out.

Faucet handle puller.jpg

I managed to get it off by pointing a hair dryer at it for a few minutes and then pulling hard with a pair of pliers. Not sure how it was stuck on, exactly, but you were right that there was no other mechanism involved.

Thanks for the help!

Back