Get Doused When Shower Turned On

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xramx

Reaction score
The house we moved into recently has an odd shaped shower in the master bath. It is about roughly 10 feet by 3 feet. One side is a tiled bathroom wall, the other a halfwall topped with glass about 6 foot high in total. The only entry is a glass door at the end opposite the shower head. Turning on the shower is an adventure. One turns the circular lever & tries to get back before the mostly very cold water hits you. For me, I get back and it only hits below my knees. My wife usually get hit in the back and is very annoyed. Outside the shower we now wait for a minute or so until the water is at a reasonable temperature.

Any ideas or product suggestions on how to improve this situation would be much appreciated.

Pictures would certainly help the professionals figure your best solution. What is your budget? What is on the opposite side of the shower? Would you be willing to move the valve to a dry area? Have you considered a digital display of the water temperature away from the water? Lots of solutions, but it starts at the wallet.

Appreciate your quick response. I've uploaded 2 photo's.
Budget ... hundreds is OK, thousands not.
Wall with shower head is an outside wall.
Moving the valve to dry area is OK, but that seems like thousands.
Not sure how a digital display would help ... what we need is a remote control value. Looked, but couldn't find one.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 18
Stand to the side until the water gets to temp.

Or install a handshower and have it pointed away from you or have it in your hand when you turn water on.

Some people would install a shower faucet with a spout and a push button diverter or hand turn diverter.

This way when the faucet is turned on the default position would be to the spout. Once the water is to temp then you divert to the head.

Not enough room on the side. Wife can fit under shower head spray, but on very cold day, the water is still uncomfortable on the feet.

Your suggestion sparked another idea. One of those shower heads with a handheld 2nd head. Could select hand held & point it to wall, then activate the main head when temp is right.

Will look into.

Still wish there was a less involved solution.

I think a flexible shower "hand held" head would solve your problem. Take it off the wall, shoot the cold water against the wall until the water warms up, then hang it back up. Something like this...

1642787878438.png

That's it. We just bought one from Lowes. A Delta brand with a big fixed shower head a smaller one on a stainless steel hose, and a lever to select top only, hose only, or both. It is a fantastic shower head and five minutes to install in place of the old one. $99 at Lowes. Switch to the hose only and remove the head from its bracket and point toward the wall or glass, turn on the water until warm, then put the hose head back in place. The small hose based head is also handy for rinse down the walls and glass at the end. I think your problem is solved for a hundred bucks, and you get a great shower head as a bonus.

Here it is. On sale $10 off, too.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta-HydroRain-Chrome-4-Spray-Dual-Shower-Head/1001307112

Thanks Havasu & T ... looks like that's the way I'll have to go, until I find a shower valve with a remote control like a tv:)

Hmm. A TV installed in my shower! Now we're talking!

There a NBA player in Destin Fl that has one. I didn’t do the work.

I removed some baby blue kohler lavatories with gold faucets from Johnny Cash property in Destin. He wasn’t there

Back