General Plumbing Practice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klabadorf

Reaction score
Hello

This is my first post. I am not sure if this is the place where I can get an answer but hear goes. I recently had a plumber come back to my house a year after he installed a high efficiency boiler. The condensate pumps check valve went bad. He had to replace the entire pump because the company does not sell the check valves separately. But in the process of doing so he broke the pvc pipes that attached the boiler to the pump. Not a problem because he immediate went to home depot to get new parts and rebuilt the custom PVC connection. While he did not charge me for the parts he did charge me for the labor of fixing his mistake. I would like to know if this is a common practice or not? Thank you in advance for your honesty and feedback.

anytime labor is done, there is always a charge. If its been a year later then yes I would charge, but if it failed more recent then it could be the install and thats up to the plumber to charge.

Would you drive to someone's house and take up 1-2 hours of your day and not make any money?

Most places will charge $70 minimum just to come and say hi!

how long did it take him? Was it actually additional labor? Or was the labor covered within the timeframe he was charging you anyway?

You should only pay for the service call, not his accident. He broke it and fixed it, great. He shouldn't of charged you though. Not a way to get repeat business

Latest posts

Back