Gasket for old frost-free faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf865

Reaction score
Have a 1980's condo with a frostfree faucet that leaks up up around the handle when it's turned on. Now it's got a slow leak all the time because I can't find the right gasket and my attempt to improvise failed. The gasket in question is somewhat like a hat shaped gasket but on top of the flat washer at the bottom it's angled inward as it goes up. What should I actually be looking for and where can i find one? The only hat type gaskets that I can find only have straight walls on them. The base of this one is about 3/4" in diameter.

Attachments

• Faucet Gasket.jpg
    Faucet Gasket.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You seem to have two different issues. The washer that stops the water flow, the bibb washer in the picture below, is back inside the house, hence the "frost-free" or "frost-proof" nomenclature.

You indicated that your first problem was a leak around the handle when the faucet was in use. That leak would be caused by bad stem packing, or simply a loose packing nut. But now you indicate that the faucet is leaking all the time, which means it leaks even when the faucet is turned off. That leak has nothing to do with the packing leaking, but the bibb washer leaking.

So, I'm assuming at this point you are looking for the bibb washer. But as Geofd said, a picture is really necessary as I don't fully understand your description of the washer.

1644101126101.png

Here's a picture of a Woodford repair kit. This has an antisiphon feature. Do any of these parts look familiar?

1644101429286.png

Just edited my original post to show a picture of the stem packing (?). The base of it is wider than what I saw in the Woodford repair kit plus that runs about $25 or more at Home Depot and I only need the one piece. I had replaced the seal at the far end of the rod so I'm assuming my improvised repair is somehow also preventing the rod from being to go all the way back. It's a very slow leak. Plus there was just a big price increase on new frostfree faucets at HD! WIfe would probably shoot me if I had to cut another hole in the wall of the condo to replace it too.

Found a name on the faucet, Healy if that helps? Was wondering about whether I could put the old gasket back in there then pack it with some of the Danco sealing rope or graphite rope, or just pack it stick the stem though there and pack the graphite in behind it? Never have used the stuff before so don't know the scope of it's performance.

Attachments

• Faucet Gasket 2.jpg
    Faucet Gasket 2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Faucet Gasket.jpg
    Faucet Gasket.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 2
Sure, put the old one back in and use the graphite to add to it.

It’s just the packing, no big deal.

Back