Gas water heater insulation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarby

Reaction score
My new apartment has gas heat and a gas water heater. The furnace and water heater are located in the attic (hope it never leaks!) and I can already tell it's going to be mighty chilly up there in the winter-it's near the outside temperature on cool nights now-much cooler than the top floor of my apt. My water heater currently has no insulation but I am thinking of asking my landlord to install some, if it'll make much of a difference over the next year or two in energy costs.

I don't even want to fool with insulation on the gas heater and have to worry about the pilot light and venting, etc. Plus, maybe they'll pay for it all!

IF the attic temperature is about 40 degrees F during winter months, would it be worth the $30 for insulation, if I pay for it?

It surely would not hurt to insulate the water heater, but don't expect much savings because most newer water heaters come with a built in insulating blanket between the tank and the exterior of it.

Although gas and oil heated units require more expertise to insulate, the typical electric heater unit is a prime candidate for added insulation if needed. A simple project installing water heater insulation may save you more energy than you had realized was possible. Give your water heater a "coat" for the winter - and keep some more of those hard-earned dollars in your own pocket for years to come.

At one time a insulating blanket on a water heater was effective, but the newer one are insulated so well that they are of little use. If you feel the heater and it doesn't feel hot then it's not loosing any heat.

John

Latest posts

Back