Gas Valve Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackowax

Reaction score
I'm accustomed to seeing a shut off handle or a knob on valves (of any kind), but I was looking at my gas line connection and didn't see one. There does seem to be something there that one might turn with a pliers or some other tool. Is this normal or should I get a plumber in to look at this?

42372204115_c23887044d_k.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180627_120957884_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180627_120957884_LL.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
It’s just an old gas cock. Can shut it off with a crescent wrench but are known to leak. If you plan on changing your appliance then call your plumber to change it out, otherwise let it be.

That valve is showing on. If that knob on the valve was side ways it would be off. If you are not sure about gas then I
suggest calling a plumber or if you have a leak call the gas company. If you try turning it off and something breaks
you could have a serious problem if you are not completely sure what you are doing.

I would definitely shut the gas off to the house and replace the valve, you need to get a valve that size that says WOG (water oil and gas)z go with a ball valve as they are better and do not require a wrench to turn off. You must also do a soap test after gas is turned back on, soap and water with sponge. Also you must we like all appliances that have a pilot flame so if this sounds like a lot of work to you you will want to call a plumber and gas fitter

not a thing wrong with that valve, others are freaking out because they have never seen on

get a spray bottle, like an old windex spray bottle, about half full of water and 3 or 4 tablespoons of dish soap
spray the valve with the soapy water, if it is not leaking [bubbles] leave it along,

the handle on the valve is that brass nub. the position it is in is ''ON''
it is a quarter turn valve, it only turns a quarter of the way,
when the valve is turned with a crescent wrench so the nub is sideways, it is ''OFF"

gas valve.jpg

not a thing wrong with that valve, others are freaking out because they have never seen on

get a spray bottle, like an old windex spray bottle, about half full of water and 3 or 4 tablespoons of dish soap
spray the valve with the soapy water, if it is not leaking [bubbles] leave it along,

the handle on the valve is that brass nub. the position it is in is ''ON''
it is a quarter turn valve, it only turns a quarter of the way,
when the valve is turned with a crescent wrench so the nub is sideways, it is ''OFF"

View attachment 17741

Thanks. I'm having a new gas stove installed in a couple of weeks, which is why I asked the question (the delivery instructions specify that the gas line be readily accessible and be able to be turned off at the line that connects to the stove). I'll do the soapy water test but, even if there isn't a problem, would it still be prudent to have it replaced the valve before the stove is delivered? Or, if it isn't leaking, just go with it?

what the code means as the gas valve being readily accessible is, the valve can no longer be behind the stove
it has to be piped to the side. we call it the ''loop''
or as my helper calls it. '' that MF BS POS we gotta do''

accessible means it can be in the cabinet and you can move pots and pans to get to it
readily accessible means you have to be able to put your hand on the valve with out moving anything
are you sure your code says readily and not accessible?

14th_amendment.png

prudent? yes it would be prudent,

I'm not sure what the code says. The instructions I was referring to are coming from Best Buy. Here's what they say: "Make sure there is a gas shut off valve in good working condition, with a metal connection located directly behind the range." And they also say you need to have a new connection hose (which I bought when I bought the stove).

FWIW, this valve isn't behind the range but in cabinet to the left of the range.

Maybe I should wait until they deliver it and, if they won't hook it up, I'll call a plumber to do it. Actually, I'll call a plumber whether they do or don't hook it up and get them to install a new valve.

No one need worry that I will undertake this on my own :) I'll have a registered plumber do all the work.

That is what I would do . If the appliance person does not wish to hook it up , then I would do it myself .

If the gas valve leaks , I would replace it myself , too .

Best of luck , :)
Wyr
God bless

Back