Gas piping to barbeque question.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
Hello, i am in the middle of piping out my home with gas piping. I still need to have inspector and gas company come check out the work. I know that they do not want any open ends or capped or plugged off outlets. Rather they want all outlets going to a valve and nipple cap. My question is this:

I am piping through basement ceiling for barbeque and plan to transition to galvanized right before it goes outside.

1) Can i use a regular brass gas ball valve for outdoors like i use for the appliances inside, or do i need to use a special valve? If not, what kind of valve should i use?

2) I also want to put a gas valve before it exits the outdoors so it is tamperproof when i am away. So basically it would be two gas ball valves on the barbeque line. Is this acceptable?

Make absolutely certain that the steel pipe, even galvanized, is 100% protected from contact with any concrete, or even dirt. I have seen pictures of what a few years of contact with a corrosive concrete surface can do to galvanized pipe, and you don't want that happening to your gas pipe.

Thanks guys. Any idea if the gas company would have a problem with piping outside to a barbeque? A guy who works the plumbing section at home depot(says he is a licensed plumber) said that they will fail it. Any truth to this?

Also, aside from that, i know there is a gas main shut off valve at meter, but i want my own main shutoff inside the house when pipe enters house from future gas service. Would they be ok with that?

We pipe to outside grills and fire pits on a regular basis here in Ohio. We deal with four or five different gas companies and not one of them has had an issue. I have never had an issue with a building department either.

I worked for the big gas company here for some years. When they work on a meter set, they will always install an outlet cutoff for the customer. This distinguishes the customers fuel line from the gas company's. They claim this is code now, but I've never verified. They would not have a problem with the barbecue grill

gas outlet cutoff.jpg

Back