Gas pipe and Stuff

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowaxhack

Currently in the Lab conducting research
Professional
Reaction score
Looks like these guys just ran plastic out of the ground and connected to the propane tank 🤣

They following the Budweiser Code 🤡

About 30 years ago I ran a 3/4” pvc gas line 100’ to my friends fathers garage for a heater. It’s still there and working 🤣 ( underground only )

I was basically a kid when I installed it. 🤪

I found some 3/4” pex ran to an outbuilding from a house for a water heater gas line about 20 years go.

I dug it up at each end and pushed a 3/8” OD copper line through the pex. Converted it to 2lb system.

I’ve found many many gas yard lights piped with 3/8” polybutylene tubing FLARED and connected to the meter and the yard light. Installation contractors that worked for our gas supplier.
Anything to sell gas.,,,…

It would come out of the ground for a couple feet. Most of the time someone cutting grass or weed eating would hit the UV damaged line and rupture it. Then call us to repair it, we terminated it or ran a new copper line.

Last edited:
I had a gas yard light for years and every time we had a real strong wind somehow it would blow the wick out
and ruin it. Gas line was underground and came up through the light pole. Got rid of it and put an electric one in.

I had a gas yard light for years and every time we had a real strong wind somehow it would blow the wick out
and ruin it. Gas line was underground and came up through the light pole. Got rid of it and put an electric one in.
You had one with a mantle ? Probably had ill fitting glass

I’ve installed a few of those auto striking gas lanterns. They strike up at dusk and turn off at dawn.

Small solenoid that works off 12v and it had a flame rod that sensed flame.

Pretty cool. If the gas light got blown out it would relight itself.

There’s a few places that manufactures them, one being in New Orleans. Many styles to choose from.

I installed 15 in a backyard about 15 yrs ago. The backyard overlooked the bay and had a driving range on top of a huge tiered sea wall that was 20’ tall.
As you walked up granite steps there were patios on about 5 different levels where dinners where served.

The rest of the backyard was putting greens that wrapped around a pool with a water feature.

Each light post was $1500 and each light wasc$1,000. 2,500 x 15. That’s almost $40k in post and lights. I think I charged him $700 a light to install with the gas pipe sleeved through conduit.

He wanted it done before the weekend because his pilot needed to file a flight plan that included a low pass by his house at dusk to see what it looked like from the air.

The backyard renovation was something like 5 million total. Everything was custom and all materials custom.

Last edited:
About 30 years ago I ran a 3/4” pvc gas line 100’ to my friends fathers garage for a heater. It’s still there and working 🤣 ( underground only )

most likely you didn't do it on your own lol

Truth be told, you are probably still basically a kid (at heart at least) and that's how it should be for all of us.

Latest posts

Back