Gas line question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del1889

Reaction score
I am switching from gas to electric for my dryer. There are two shut-off valves leading to the dryer. One at the unit itself and one further back at a split point in the main gas line.

Is it enough to just close these two valves? Or should I have the line capped? I want to go the safest route.

Thanks!

Thanks!! Is the capping / plugging something I can do myself (I am not a professional)? Thanks again.
That’s up to you to decide if you’re capable.

I’m not sure if it’s legal for you to do your own gas work or not. You could check with your utility provider and or building inspection department.

If there is a yellow flexible line to your dryer, you want to remove that and cap the line where it connects to the hard gas line.

And I'm not sure of your piping layout, but you may want to remove the pipe after the first valve and cap/plug that first valve. That means going back to a gas dryer would be more work, but you don't want anyone using the abandoned gas line for hanging clothes.

It sounds like you are not really comfortable working with gas piping, so you may want to hire it done. And depending on your actual piping components, I can't tell you what fittings you need. And my personal preference is to use a good Teflon paste, not the yellow Teflon gas tape.

Remove the flexible appliance line, with both valves off. Remove any brass flare fittings attached to the pipe end. Get a cap and gas approved thread sealer. Firmly attach until tight, with wrenches. You can easily do it yourself with a very inexpensive cap and a small container of thread sealant if you don’t have it. If you call a plumber to do this it’s going to cost you a fortune for five minutes worth of work.
Do not waste any time or effort removing pipes. You may sell the house one day and the next owner may want a gas dryer. Don’t make it difficult for them. Those gas dryers cost a little bit more than electric, but the running cost is considerably cheaper. At least that’s the case today. Your gas line will almost certainly be a ½” inch iron or ¾” inch iron.

FWIW, in 2019, it cost me $900 I believe to extend gas lines in my crawl space to include one for the dryer, and one outside for the grill. Some of the cost was modifying the manifold and adding regulators. I had this done on the first day we owned the new home.
1662955980666.jpeg

Last edited:
Back