Gas hot water heater outdoor drain pipe leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I would like a bit of additional guidance on this problem. I had a leak coming from my gas hot water heater (40gal). I changed the plastic drain valve to a brass one (that leak stopped), I still had a leak coming from an outside drain pipe next to my outdoor garden hose (on/off valve). Did some research which implied it could be a temp|pressure|relief valve. I changed the temperature pressure relief valve as well (Watts lf100xl). I still have a leak coming from the outside drain pipe. The water bill hasn't increased drastically although I have a steady drip of water from this drain pipe. Any other ideas of a cause/solution?

o, fyi, when i changed the temp|pressure|relief valve I didn't drain all the h2o from the tank. I drained to just below the valve

You need a gauge to check your water pressure.

The relief valve will leak at around 150 psi, that’s why you need to check your water pressure.

Your water pressure may be too high. Your water pressure shouldn’t be over 80 psi.

You may have a failed pressure reducing valve. A valve installed to reduce the city pressure.

The relief valve will leak at around 150 psi, that’s why you need to check your water pressure.

Your water pressure may be too high. Your water pressure shouldn’t be over 80 psi.

You may have a failed pressure reducing valve. A valve installed to reduce the city pressure.
I changed the relief valve, replacing like with like. It was a Watts lf100xl 210'/150psi, 105k btu. Is that not the pressure reducing valve, or is that a different type of valve?

thanks,

Attachments

• CATALOG_Watts_0556000.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 0

i think i purchased a 150 psi, but it could have been 75. ill have to take a look at it again. i'll take a look & share

You need to put a pressure gauge on a hose bib and turn it on. Tell us what the pressure is. Do you have a heat pump and high efficiency furnace?

You need to put a pressure gauge on a hose bib and turn it on. Tell us what the pressure is. Do you have a heat pump and high efficiency furnace?
No it's a residential 40gal gas hot water heater, and a gas furnace (about 25 years old came with house when house was built - (doubt it's high efficiency). Don't have a pressure gauge at this time.

1. 1st & last video is a drain spout that has been dripping water. I ran a test & ran the temp pressure relief valve & the draining stopped while it was on. Once stopped the pressure relief valve the drain begad dripping again.
  2. the 2nd video is the run off from the temp relief valve
  3. the 3rd photo shows. my current configuration over my hot water heater

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    982.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1874.jpeg
    IMG_1874.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
That’s too high, it shouldn’t be over about 80 psi.

You need to either adjust or replace your existing pressure reducing valve to 80 psi or less and also with the system off and depressurized set the air charge to your thermal expansion tank to match your water pressure setting.

Most residential PRV have a max adjustable pressure of 75 psi. Your PRV has failed and needs replaced.

Back