Garbage Disposal Plumbing, vented waste pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumpy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home and have limited knowledge of plumbing. We were pretty excited to have a garbage disposal. I was surprised to find water pouring out of the cabinet under the sink after using it one day. I took a look and saw that the drain pipe has a vent in it. I also observed water shooting out of there. Is this a requirement, or can i cap it off somehow? See photo attached.

IMG_8303.jpg

Not only that, but now that I think about it, it may have a clog somewhere down there too. If it is indeed backing up out of there. Looking at the way it is piped, it shouldn't be

Alrighty! I'll plug it up, and I'll also see if it continues to drain normally. The sink drains normally on it's own, its just when I run the garbage disposal, it shoots water out sometimes.

I just noticed the disposal isn't hooked. Looks like the ring that fastens the disposal has missed one of the lugs. That would cause it to leak between the disposal and the sink.

Back