Garbage Disposal Backup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XR7Guy

Reaction score
Hi There,
Just joined here. Hope to pick everyone's knowledge base.
My current issue is this, my wife and I bought a manufactured home recently. I mention that only because it might help.
Anyway, in the kitchen we have 2 sinks. The main sink has a main bowl with a smaller bowl for the garbage disposer.
The other sink in the center island is also small and we don't really use it.
My issue is when I clean the dishes of food in the garbage disposer side and run the disposer, it will spit waste & water back up thru the drain in the main bowl.
This only happens when it is first run. The plumbing looks correct under the sink as far as I can tell. Is this a disposer issue? I don't know the age of anything.
Also, when running water in the main sink, I hear a gurgling sound over in the smaller sink in the center island.
Any assistance is much appreciated!!
Thanks

The kitchen line is getting plugged. Nothing wrong with the disposal. Either rent an electric snake and you do it or
have a company run a snake through your drain. Don't wait until it backs up completely.

My guess: The waste line from the garbage disposal is connecting though a Tee to the waste line from the main sink. The water from the disposal is hitting the tee, and splashing upward.

There are special Tees for garbage disposals that direct the water down through the waste lline and prevent it coming back up into the adjacent sink. They do tend to clog if you send too much waste through the disposal too fast. The better solution is a sanitary tee, which turns the flow downward. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P400-015-1-1-2-PVC-DWV-Sanitary-Tee

My guess: The waste line from the garbage disposal is connecting though a Tee to the waste line from the main sink. The water from the disposal is hitting the tee, and splashing upward.

There are special Tees for garbage disposals that direct the water down through the waste lline and prevent it coming back up into the adjacent sink. They do tend to clog if you send too much waste through the disposal too fast. The better solution is a sanitary tee, which turns the flow downward. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P400-015-1-1-2-PVC-DWV-Sanitary-Tee

It can do it with those too. What’s needed is a combination fitting or a baffled slip joint tee. Depends on what kind of pipe he has, tubular or sch 40

Tom,
Here are a couple of shots of the drain. Don't know if this will help or not.
Thanks!

Attachments

• P1000940.JPG
    P1000940.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P1000939.JPG
    P1000939.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 19
Can you explain more for me? I can replace it if I know what to get.

Can you explain more for me? I can replace it if I know what to get.
There are several different ways to plumb a double sink with a disposal. I like to plumb the disposal straight down to the P-trap with the other sink flowing into the vertical line between the disposal and the P-trap with a sanitee. That keeps the issue you have from happening as the disposal discharge is directed straight down and down the drain piping. See the picture below.

1641668474741.png

Hi There,
My current issue is this, my wife and I bought a manufactured home recently. I mention that only because it might help.
Anyway, in the kitchen we have 2 sinks. The main sink has a main bowl with a smaller bowl for the garbage disposer.
My issue is when I clean the dishes of food in the garbage disposer side and run the disposer, it will spit waste & water back up thru the drain in the main bowl.
This only happens when it is first run. The plumbing looks correct under the sink as far as I can tell. Is this a disposer issue? I don't know the age of anything.
Also, when running water in the main sink, I hear a gurgling sound over in the smaller sink in the center island.
Any assistance is much appreciated on Best Insinkerator garbage disposal!!
Thanks
I have a question: in the USA, many households have a so-called "garbage disposal" in the drain of the sink, which spells out all the leftovers in tiny little bits so that they can drain away with it. I would also like to have something like this in my house, can you buy it here in Germany or install it in the sink yourself?

I have a question: in the USA, many households have a so-called "garbage disposal" in the drain of the sink, which spells out all the leftovers in tiny little bits so that they can drain away with it. I would also like to have something like this in my house, can you buy it here in Germany or install it in the sink yourself?
Dunno about Germany (My Good Friend Google is not very helpful), but in the US they are available in all the Big Box hardware stores, and are pretty simple to install yourself: Best Garbage Disposals for Your Home Maybe check your hardware stores or ask plumber? If they are not a thing there (saw that Germany burns garbage in waste-to-power plants) then probably not.

"I would also like to have something like this in my house, can you buy it here in Germany or install it in the sink yourself?"

I wonder if one of the B/S/H, GmbH brands has one available in Germany. I'd imagine OBI or Bauhaus will be happy to order one in for you.

If not one of the above: Amazon, Walmart Marketplace, Bonanza, eBay all are possibilities.
Search "Garbage Disposer". The term "Disposal" is a trademark, so your search results may become limited.

But... You will have to search a bit for a 220 volt one, or buy a converter sufficient for the motor load of a 120 volt North American disposer.

Also verify that the outlet (disposer elbow) will mate to your sink plumbing without adapting washers. In U.S., the outlet is 1-1/2" outside diameter (38 mm). Sink parts are slip-fit and use compression washers and nuts.

Hope This Helps,
Paul
PS: Installation is easy, so no need to worry.

I think that the only thing that should go down a kitchen sink drain is water and used dishwashing water. I also think that garbage disposers are... garbage.

I use a plastic coffee cans (like an old Folgers can) and I line them with vegetable bags (like those thin ones that you get at the store to hold your onions, celery, and other stuff). When the bag gets full, it goes into the trash can. When the coffee can gets dirty, I wash it out. A couple of cans last me a year or so.

I'm tired of cleaning out kitchen drain pipes that are full of eggshell particles and other stuff that clogs them up.

Just my thoughts.

Skeezix's plan of the coffee cans & liners is a smart idea. And lots quieter that a disposer, too.

We pick Bag-Of-The-Week (old gallon zip close bag, the bag the newspaper comes in, grocery bag, etc.) for food waste. Our refrigerator has a bottom freezer, so the bag lives in the top slide out basket until trash day. It gets fed as trash is generated. Vegetable scraps go outside in the dirt pile. The disposer is rarely used any more.

When I was young and assigned to sewer cleaning, at restaurants I'd often find the coffee ground/grease mess that Wpns mentioned in the drains. Rock Solid, indeed. Celery, plastic bags and soda straws were the main disposer wreckers.

Hi There,
Any assistance is much appreciated!!
Thanks
If the outlet is clogged, I would ask if you or someone else has dumped hot grease in and run it with hot water, thinking that it would flow easier and not become lodged in the pipes. That doesn't work- it actually causes the grease to flow farther in liquid or semi-liquid form. After this is unclogged, use cold water when dumping small amounts of grease. Don't dump a large amount, save that in a can and store it in the fridge until you can put it with the other trash.

If the small holes are clogged with grease, you can often clear them by putting ice into the disposer and running it- the clips will force the grease and other stuff out.

I have put near-boiling water in when grease had clogged mine, but only once- after that happened, I started saving the grease and now, I only put very small amounts in. Haven't had a problem in years.

The gurgling would probably be due to not having a trap between the main sink and island.

just so you know a lot of municipalities are banning garbage disposer, they want you to recycle kitchen and garden waste . they give you a brown bin and do pick up once a week, then they have a compost give away usually in the spring for your garden. makes sense to me .

Latest posts

Back