Gap between tile and kerdi silicone or grout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art

Reaction score
Hi everyone i keep searching and getting conflicting answers. I am tiling my shower and tiled the back wall first the gap between the tile and kerdi board should i fill that in with grout or caulk before tiling the rest of the bathroom? attached pictures for reference

Attachments

• 20221219_074409.jpg
    20221219_074409.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221211_170808.jpg
    20221211_170808.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221219_074413.jpg
    20221219_074413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I would, but don't use grout. You should have a flexible bond between different vertical surfaces. Use a color match flexible caulk, same as your grout color.

At least tile all the walls, then grout. I personally tile walls and floor then grout everything at once. After the grout dries then caulk all the corners.

Is there bump outs in the corners? What is that about? Are you using tile for that or putting some sort of corner pieces?

Thanks everyone.
Hi dmmsr. Not sure what you mean by bump outs. I was going to tile the whole bathroom but since i have easy access to the gaps i just wanted to know if i should fill that in first then tile and grout everything when tje other walld are tiles. I left some spacing for expansion. Here is a pic of how the rest of the tile would overlap.

Attachments

• 20221209_211117.jpg
    20221209_211117.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Thanks everyone.
Hi dmmsr. Not sure what you mean by bump outs. I was going to tile the whole bathroom but since i have easy access to the gaps i just wanted to know if i should fill that in first then tile and grout everything when tje other walld are tiles. I left some spacing for expansion. Here is a pic of how the rest of the tile would overlap.
Disregard. To me the picture looked like there was a bump out. I had a bit of a headache and did not look around it as clearly.

Disregard. To me the picture looked like there was a bump out. I had a bit of a headache and did not look around it as clearly.
Oh okay thanks for clarifying. I got nervous i messed something up. So in your incase you would tile the rest and then grout. Would there be a benefit to caulk the gap and then tile and grout. Im okay if it is overkill lol. I just want to do something that would have a negative effect

Do not grout or caulk until everything is tiled. Assuming you are using the Schluter modified All-Set? Can't really see it, but you do have the (required) 2" kerdi-band overlap?

Cool tile - are they calling out for a 1/4" spacer? Seems like the edge tiles are a little wide?!

Oh okay thanks for clarifying. I got nervous i messed something up. So in your incase you would tile the rest and then grout. Would there be a benefit to caulk the gap and then tile and grout. Im okay if it is overkill lol. I just want to do something that
Do not grout or caulk until everything is tiled. Assuming you are using the Schluter modified All-Set? Can't really see it, but you do have the (required) 2" kerdi-band overlap?

Cool tile - are they calling out for a 1/4" spacer? Seems like the edge tiles are a little wide?!
Yup I Kerdi band to cover all seems as well as screw holes using kerdi all-set. I also did a leak test before tiling. As for the edge tile, the gap is smaller then tile so after thinset and tile that gap will not be seen.

Oh okay thanks for clarifying. I got nervous i messed something up. So in your incase you would tile the rest and then grout. Would there be a benefit to caulk the gap and then tile and grout. Im okay if it is overkill lol. I just want to do something that

Yup I Kerdi band to cover all seems as well as screw holes using kerdi all-set. I also did a leak test before tiling. As for the edge tile, the gap is smaller then tile so after thinset and tile that gap will not be seen.
I do not think it would really hurt if you did. It's just normal practice to do after. I would wait to grout. I would not recommend caulking before finishing the grout. Caulk is to secure and lock the corner grouting and keep it from cracking.

I do not think it would really hurt if you did. It's just normal practice to do after. I would wait to grout. I would not recommend caulking before finishing the grout. Caulk is to secure and lock the corner grouting and keep it from cracking.

Nope you are good - (full) tile then grout. Did you do a mud bed or use a Schluter pan?

Although I agree that it seems to be an overkill, look at the 45 second mark, where they are using grout in the corner prior to the tile installation. Maybe this is just for the gap between the tub and wall?

Although I agree that it seems to be an overkill, look at the 45 second mark, where they are using grout in the corner prior to the tile installation. Maybe this is just for the gap between the tub and wall?

Hey @havasu - that isn't caulk it's KERDI-Fix (at $30 bucks a tube!!!), it'll bond a shelf to the side of a shower and after it cures, you'll be able to stand on the thing!

I did both of their certification training programs and the whole system is amazing!

before applying the Kerdi ban I used that Kerdi-fix like Caulk to join the seems of the two board. I was thinking of using the Kerdi fix for the mentions gaps as an extra step.

Back