Galvanized vent pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweatyeddie

Reaction score
I'm putting in vented skylights on either side of this galvanized vent pipe. So the pipe needs to be cut, turned 45 degrees, and extended up the roof line (in the same rafter bay) to be above the skylights. I'm getting conflicting approaches from plumbers. Can anyone help me with general plumbing code on this issue, or even better, if you know specific to Massachusetts.... Here at my questions:

How high above the vented skylights does a vent pipe need to be on the roof line (it' a 45 degree gable roof)?
Can galvanized pipe be turned into PVC from this point, as it extends from here to the roof line, or does it need to be continued as metal?
How high above the roof line does a vent pipe need to extend?

Thanks so much,
Ed

image.jpg

By vented skylight, as in opening, That's going to be a problem. Most plumbing codes call for vents to be at least 10 feet from any opening (either roof opening, air intake, etc).

So if you put in an opening skylight, then the vent needs to be moved at least 10' away from that opening (and any others).

Beni Bacon, PE, CIPE

Back