Galvanized pipe to copper would you recommend this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarveyCat

Reaction score
Galvanized pipe to copper would you recommend this? Please see photos - the existing connections are looking really bad - I just bought the place.

IMG_8785.pngIMG_8778 Copy.jpegIMG_8780 Copy.jpeg

Replace it all with pex.
I wish I could but I'll be tearing out a lot of walls and tile - I will replace as much as I can in the basement - is the galvanized compression fitting "as a short term fix" a waste of time? Is there any way to connect pex right to a freshly cut off galvanized pipe - like the galvanized compression fitting allows with copper?

IMG_8784.jpg

Last edited:
Those easily blow out and that can be an incredible disaster.
You should use a threaded connection to steel for your PEX.
We put a WYE strainer on the galv transition first, then a brass threaded PEX adapter. It prevents rust particles from causing downstream issues.

Good news - pipes all turned out to be brass not galvanized! So everything is brass or copper. It seemed to have had a tiny leak for many many years in that location I wire brushed it and there's no sign of any leak now - whatsoever. I will keep an eye on it over time- but I used the magnet and checked everything and wire brushed it and it is all clearly brass. Any thoughts?

Good news - pipes all turned out to be brass not galvanized! So everything is brass or copper. It seemed to have had a tiny leak for many many years in that location I wire brushed it and there's no sign of any leak now - whatsoever. I will keep an eye on it over time- but I used the magnet and checked everything and wire brushed it and it is all clearly brass. Any thoughts?
I’d leave it if it’s brass.

Back