funky smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktoter

Reaction score
I purchased a home last year and the master bathroom smelled like cat pee. I thougt it was the wallpaper. Wife and I stripped wallpaper and painted smell still there. I discovered it was this oily substance that had leaked out of ballasts in old flourescant fixtures. So i removed them replacedthem and smell went way but was replaced by this funky sweet smell. after resaerching online mold might give this smell. We had had a roof leak so i cut out drywall replaced and removed old insulation smell still there. discovered that original tile shower was leaking horiibly. Completely gutted shower, bad mold.. Gutted down to studs even replacing some studs...low and behold smell was gone. bathrrom back together and began using it again and smell back again....not septic smell but a funky musty sweet odor. I am thinkning something to do with fixtures because during remodel, bathroom was not used...so smell wnet away...now we are using it and smell is back....all traps have water...i resealed the toilet when we originnalyy moved in. any help is appreciated.

Bathrooms without proper ventilation are the #1 reason for mold. If you don't have or use the exhaust fan, start using it or purchase one. It usually takes 30 minutes to exchange the moist air for dry air after a shower, and is usually the reason for mold problems.

By the way, which model Glock do you like to tote around? I prefer the .40 cal, I have all three, the 22, 23 and the 27.

21 .45 /wife has 23...mold not issue...im thinking soemthing with pluimbing due to smell being gone entire time renovating( not using toilet shower or sink)....vent stack clear from roof. but smell in area of toilet...toilet should be last in line before exiting house

If the smell apears to originate near the toilet, it might be worth it to pop off the toilet and check for a broken/leaking flange. Do you smell any foul odors in the sink basin? The sink overflow? How about the shower/tub vent? It is usually best to isolate the problem exactly before ripping everything out. Good luck!

The wax seal on the toilet is usually the culprit. Not all of them leak water where you can see it, but the odor spreads throughout. The sink overflow can also grow mold between the sink walls. For this, I place the stopper in the sink, pour in a cup of bleach, and then slowly (to prevent splashing) fill the sink with water and let it flow down the overflow. When the bleach smell is gone, the odor from the sink is usually gone too.

try cleaning the overflow in you sink that is the hole near the top edge of the bowl that prevents the sink from overflowing. fill the sink with a bleach water mix, fill the sink high enough that it runs down the hole into the drain, you can also use a bottle brush to get in their good luck.

vanity top is new cultured marble this has no overflow built in that wont be it and i replaced wax ring smell still there

Since you have already checked out the obvious, it's time to dig a little deeper. If you believe the funky smell is sewer gasses, it might be advisable to bring in a camera system, and check out your plumbing from the inside. It's possible you have a crack in the sewer pipes, allowing these gasses to permeate the room.

If you believe the smell is mold, you will need to check for leakage from above the room (roof leaks, etc.) or a water line break. The proper way to test for this is to pressurize the lines after attaching a gauge, and wait for a drop in pressure indicating a leak somewhere.

One last thought. If by chance you are on a slab foundation, you might have water percolation due to a high water table, which in itself could cause mold problems.

What ever you decide, understand these vapors could have health risks, so tackle this issue soon. Again, good luck!

my issue is the room didnt have this smell when we had the shower gutted and wasnt using the tiolet sink or shower and now that it is back together it does stink.....im not sure if the different smells from the renovation were masking it but now its back.

Is it possible that during the renovation, the vent tube was cut/disturbed, causing the sewer gasses to permeate the bathroom? Again, a camera in the pipes would be a certain resolution.

this might sound wierd but when i was not using toilet during remodel water evaporated and smell was gone. started using bathroom agaiun and it came back. when i pulled toilet other day and for the most part drained it we thought smell was gone until next mroning and smell was back....im wondering if funk is in toilet soemwhere...????

A toilet is such a simple contraption that unless the bottom is caked with funk, is highly unlikely. I'm still thinking your vent is at the bottom of this.

I am wondering if the drain pipe for the sink basin is damaged. That might explain why the smell goes away when the bathroom is not in use, wall dries out. Did you manage to examine the drain and vent piping when you had the walls opened up?

yeah it must be any crack in sewer line.first check the line ..... u may call any plumber for visit on your complain,

Back